lightbulb Library card redesign

26 Jul 2016 03:39 - 26 Jul 2016 03:44 #77534 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Library card redesign

A concern I have is that much of your text boxes are going to be eaten up by your discipline icons, and i'm wondering if smaller icons and differently justified text aren't an easy solution to that.

Force of Personality is one of the exceptions — if it works for this it will work for everything else. I think it works and is clearer than the original card. Even so, the icons probably are not actually necessary as you can only strike during combat and sup has the "Only usable as the action is announced." clause...

This means behaviour consistent with Elemental Stoicism can be achieved (has the bold +1 Stealth Action):

Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 03:44 by Ke..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2016 03:52 #77535 by brettscho
Replied by brettscho on topic Library card redesign
Damn, these designs are awesome! One small comment is that I think cards with multiple different types of effects (as in cards that are played either as an X card or as a Y card) should either retain the card type symbols after the effect (so that it's clear when each effect can be played), or that the text boxes become tinted to reflect the type of effect that it is. So red-ish text box for combat, etc.

Again, awesome work, I'm very very excited to see what comes of this!

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:

More
26 Jul 2016 05:00 #77536 by Juggernaut1981
Ke,
I saw your simplification and noticed something that bothered me. The 'blend colour-to-colour' for the dual-type cards. I figured, if we're going for super-bold direct graphical information, then why do that? Why not make it a dual-bar?

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
26 Jul 2016 05:37 #77538 by Ke.

I figured, if we're going for super-bold direct graphical information, then why do that? Why not make it a dual-bar?

Pretty good idea, although it hinders the text. How about this:

Although perhaps we're over complicating things that are the exception?

More
26 Jul 2016 05:39 - 26 Jul 2016 05:49 #77539 by Juggernaut1981
Colouring the Disciplines is a bridge too far in my mind. But the double-bar seems to convey the information quickly.
I'm not a huge fan of the text, mostly because I lean to clear graphical information over text for 'symbol matching' use.

The other thought is to always use the same order (alphabetical) so you would have:
Action, Combat, Modifier, Reaction in order left to right. And maybe add the 'card type logo' to the boxes.

EDIT: Including another mockup

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 05:49 by Juggernaut1981.

More
26 Jul 2016 05:48 #77540 by Ke.

I'm not a huge fan of the text, mostly because I lean to clear graphical information over text for 'symbol matching' use.

With the card type icons there are no symbols to match — unlike discipline and clan icons that are matched to other cards.

We had a new player a couple of weeks ago and the main thing he struggled with was card type — it's a common issue. Having it in plain text means there isn't another set of icons to learn (some are slightly different, action vs action modifier wtf). Players now only need to focus on matching the discipline icons to vampires.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds