Replied by alek on topic Crypt card redesign

New crypt text templating proposal:

Single, white text box
Fixed-size text box
Bold, before colon: Sect, title
Not-bold, after colon: Special rules
Bold, after not-bold special rules: keywords, terms, attributes

For example:
Sabbat: If Kazimir blocks an action, he gets an optional press in the resulting combat. Black Hand Seraph.

+1
I seen no reason for adding second box

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2016 21:39 - 14 Sep 2016 21:49 #78272 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign

The only reason why Ke included the clan name in the black box is because he realized that the black box could potentially be empty.

This is not the case.

I've included the clan name for new players — 7.5% of all cards refer to clan by name without a clan icon.

You must keep new players in mind — just because you've been playing for 20+ years and recognise the clan icons instantly; it doesn't mean new players do.

If we want to make the game more accessible to new players (and I hope we do), then this is something to consider in the same manner as replacing cryptic card icons with clear words. It allows new players to easily match the 7.5% of cards without clan icons and also learn the clan names as they go...
Last edit: 14 Sep 2016 21:49 by Ke..
The following user(s) said Thank You: brettscho

More
14 Sep 2016 21:46 #78273 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign

Bold, before colon: Sect, title
Not-bold, after colon: Special rules
Bold, after not-bold special rules: keywords, terms, attributes

I think this is a good middle ground. Pretty much the "bold" labelled images here:

www.vekn.net/forum/generic-v-tes-discussion/75121-crypt-card-redesign?start=54#78086

More
14 Sep 2016 22:19 #78274 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic Crypt card redesign

The only reason why Ke included the clan name in the black box is because he realized that the black box could potentially be empty.

This is not the case.

I've included the clan name for new players — 7.5% of all cards refer to clan by name without a clan icon.

You must keep new players in mind — just because you've been playing for 20+ years and recognise the clan icons instantly; it doesn't mean new players do.

If we want to make the game more accessible to new players (and I hope we do), then this is something to consider in the same manner as replacing cryptic card icons with clear words. It allows new players to easily match the 7.5% of cards without clan icons and also learn the clan names as they go...

I admire all the work you and everybody else are putting in to making the cards more intelligible, but putting redundant information on cards is just not a good idea. The clan Icons are clearly explained in the rulebook. Let the rulebook do it's job by explaining the basics like clan and discipline symbols.

More
14 Sep 2016 22:30 #78275 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Crypt card redesign

This is not the case.

You have made it very clear twice in this thread that you sought to resolve the design problem of what to do when the vampire has no text. You have created a hole to fill. Remove the hole and there becomes no need to fill it.

With regards to cards that refer to a clan without also providing the clan icon, the Rules Team has already addressed that issue by requiring the inclusion of both pieces of information in the text templating. We've been using that templating in all of the VEKN sets. If we can get this game back in print, we'll go back and reprint cards using proper templating.

More
14 Sep 2016 22:53 - 14 Sep 2016 22:53 #78276 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Crypt card redesign

I think this is a good middle ground.

In case it hasn't been clear from the tone and content of what I've written, I'm completely uninterested in middle ground solutions. This is a foundation that must be laid properly. There's a reason why "design by committee" is a slur.

I recognize and appreciate the amount of work you've put into this, and I get the feeling you're frustrated by the prospect of having to do a lot more work to come up with something that works properly. The reality is that there's still a lot of work to be done. From my experience with the Design Team and from watching the enormous amount of work the Rules Team is doing with overhauling the text templating of the game, I know that there are no shortcuts.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2016 22:53 by BenPeal.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds