file New Player Reference Cards

09 Mar 2017 18:00 #81059 by Rowdy
Replied by Rowdy on topic New Player Reference Cards
Thank you for the replies & answer to my question...sorry to derail convo. I do like the cards for new players idea & think it would be fantastic to incorporate if cards are made again.

I've been playing since 1994 with Jyhad when it came out. We never played tourneys & only for fun with group of friends. Group has changed over years but for most part we all played same way (my fault mainly) with slight changes. We have always played that bleeds were not directed and could be blocked without eagles sight or other. We "assumed" that without the D, it wasn't Directed.

Our group has become gung-ho in V:TES again & are complying now with set rules. Taking adjusting to. Thank you all for the feed back.

~ Rowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2017 18:14 - 09 Mar 2017 18:15 #81060 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic New Player Reference Cards

My experience is when (D) appears, people want to attach more meaning to it than a "reminder." The most common misinterpretation is "Oh, it has the (D) symbol. So I can target someone other than my prey." I understand the symbol can be helpful if it were explained properly to a new player by another experienced player. But, in situations where a playgroup consists of all new players trying to figure out the game, it does more harm than good.

The reverse is true: I've already seen players who thought that actions not marked with (D) could be blocked by anyone for instance. The present or the absence of a (D) reminder won't prevent mistakes. But having a reminder is better than having none when you start, especially when it helps classifying actions in two categories: those than can be blocked by 1 guy, or those that can be blocked by the prey or the predator.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 09 Mar 2017 18:15 by Ankha.

More
09 Mar 2017 22:22 #81062 by TwoRazorReign
In your example, are people aware of the (D) symbol on other cards, and then they don't see the (D) symbol and think the action can be blocked by anybody? If yes, we're experiencing the same problem: my example shows players misinterpreting the symbol, your example shows players misinterpreting the absence of the symbol. My thought is, if you get rid of the symbol altogether, all the misinterpretations cease to exist.

If in your example the players are completely new and have not seen the (d) symbol yet and know nothing about it, then perhaps the symbol is more helpful than I realize. I still think it could be implemented better...

More
09 Mar 2017 22:39 #81063 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic New Player Reference Cards

my example shows players misinterpreting the symbol, your example shows players misinterpreting the absence of the symbol. My thought is, if you get rid of the symbol altogether, all the misinterpretations cease to exist.

And this is the main thing; either all cards / and effects that are directed actions should have the (d) symbol or none at all. It's the inconsistency that is the problem.

The new card text seems much more consistent now; with the exception being actions that could target you (undirected) or others (directed). However there are still inconstancies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased, TwoRazorReign

More
09 Mar 2017 22:51 #81064 by self biased
Ankha, aside from the colossal pain in the ass a huge errata would be, are Bleed actions so hurting for space that a reminder "your Prey" couldn't be wedgied in there?

More
10 Mar 2017 16:52 - 10 Mar 2017 16:59 #81073 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic New Player Reference Cards

And this is the main thing; either all cards / and effects that are directed actions should have the (d) symbol or none at all. It's the inconsistency that is the problem.

The new card text seems much more consistent now; with the exception being actions that could target you (undirected) or others (directed). However there are still inconstancies.

We'll never be able to eliminate the problem caused by the old printings without the D-symbol, so people will forever have problems with inconsistency.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 10 Mar 2017 16:59 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds