file New Player Reference Cards

10 Mar 2017 17:35 - 10 Mar 2017 17:36 #81074 by TwoRazorReign

We'll never be able to eliminate the problem caused by the old printings without the D-symbol, so people will forever have problems with inconsistency.

If printed proxies weren't legal, I'd agree with you. With printed proxies being legal, the door is open to edit this game into a more user friendly, printable version.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2017 17:36 by TwoRazorReign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2017 02:11 #81102 by self biased

We'll never be able to eliminate the problem caused by the old printings without the D-symbol, so people will forever have problems with inconsistency.

I mean, you're not wrong, but... when running demo games, one could use decks made of proxy cards that are consistent with the current printing.

just sayin'.

More
13 Mar 2017 12:11 #81105 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic New Player Reference Cards
I get it mate and it is a solid idea.

However reality is often bit different and I unfortunately don't see that happening all that much... :)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
15 Mar 2017 02:25 #81139 by self biased
editing for a slightly different format, and I realized I didn't save my work. way to go past me.

More
15 Mar 2017 04:56 #81140 by direwolf
Replied by direwolf on topic New Player Reference Cards
The "overview" cards are too in depth. There are too many words, and I find it overwhelming trying to read it. About a third of the words are key terms that are in bold, so that does make it more difficult to read.

And by difficult to read, I mean the actual act of reading the words, I am not talking about comprehension.

One thing I recommend is align the text to the left. Center alignment does not help much with that much text. Also, unless keywords are Proper switch to lower case. too many capital letters break the flow.

Second, try something less bold than what you have now. It will be easier to read the flow of text if the bold words are closer in weight, but still distinctive to register as keywords. (don't switch to italics, it would be worse!) Some typefaces (Helvetica typically) have more weights than normal and bold.

If you want to clean up the cards further, then keep in mind these are supposed to be a reference to *remind* the player of what he or she can do. You could simplify things very much if you recognize that the player can look up specifics on a phone or rulebook.

For example, Action Overview could simply be:

- tap a vampire and declare an action
- default action such as bleed, hunt, rescue or diablarize
- action card from hand, must meet all requirements
- action defined on a card in play
- other Methuselah's vampires may play reactions or attempt to block
- directed actions may only be blocked by vampires controlled by the targeted Methuselah
- undirected actions may be blocked by your prey first, then your predator if prey declines
- a blocking vampire needs intercept equal to the acting vampire's stealth
- the acting vampire may play modifiers
- vampires controlled by other Methuselah's may play reactions

Not sure if that is more or less words than your card, but it is organized closer to what the rulebook says, and includes less keywords.

Anyway, I hope my advise helps.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
15 Mar 2017 23:33 #81157 by self biased
yanno, upon some reflection and shit, I think you're right, Direwolf. It feels like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds