file Gaming mats

05 Dec 2012 21:58 #42419 by Juggernaut1981
Replied by Juggernaut1981 on topic Re: Gaming mats
You'll need to be careful about your choice of red. Red on Black and Black on Red can make for very difficult reading.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2012 04:29 #42433 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Gaming mats

I agree. I like the black with red lettering and with just a plain line going across the middle and not down below. It looks cleaner than the others and more versitile IMO.

"Cleaner"? YMMV, I guess, but having a horizontal line at exactly halfway for a game that doesn't use two halves of a playing area is worse than useless.

I want a mat for VTES, not for some other game. If I wanted a mat that was useable primarily for a non-VTES game then I'd get some random gamer mat.

But some VTES mats with section lines in the absolutely wrong place is better than no VTES mats, I suppose, even if they don't really showcase our game's play areas.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
06 Dec 2012 10:15 #42445 by mirddes
Replied by mirddes on topic Re: Gaming mats

vekn.net/images/stories/downloads/vtesplaymat.pdf

please simply improve the existing design.

it is an invaluable teaching aid

More
06 Dec 2012 10:44 - 06 Dec 2012 10:44 #42446 by Amenophobis
Replied by Amenophobis on topic Re: Gaming mats

Not really. It is something completely different. A gaming mat is a cool gadget, that also helps in improving VTES' visibility.

The "playmat" you linked, is more geared toward teaching the game, but is in my opinion awfully cluttered and not practical to really play games with it.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2012 10:44 by Amenophobis.

More
06 Dec 2012 11:07 #42447 by mirddes
Replied by mirddes on topic Re: Gaming mats

Not really. It is something completely different. A gaming mat is a cool gadget, that also helps in improving VTES' visibility.

The "playmat" you linked, is more geared toward teaching the game, but is in my opinion awfully cluttered and not practical to really play games with it.

then improve it.

offer both the teaching mat and a simple branded one?

the 'playmat' i linked can be greatly improved, could teach the game much more effectively.

i wish i had one.

More
06 Dec 2012 13:19 - 06 Dec 2012 14:54 #42457 by Trigger
Replied by Trigger on topic Re: Gaming mats

"Cleaner"? YMMV, I guess, but having a horizontal line at exactly halfway for a game that doesn't use two halves of a playing area is worse than useless.

I want a mat for VTES, not for some other game. If I wanted a mat that was useable primarily for a non-VTES game then I'd get some random gamer mat.

But some VTES mats with section lines in the absolutely wrong place is better than no VTES mats, I suppose, even if they don't really showcase our game's play areas.

Please let me clarify a couple things. First, I don't know what the end result will be as far as a final design which is why I asked for some critique from players. Second, I very much do respect everyone's advice and ask that they in turn respect mine since I am doing this for free. Lastly, I don't know what this topic I started will end up as. Is it a free download for user printability, or is someone wanting to mass produce this and sell or any number of other possibilities.

What I am saying is this was just the first step in trying to come up with a possible Non-Teaching play mat for players to use for their own needs or publicity of the game or prizes or what have you. Once a final design is underway, then where to go with it is open for discussion. If this doesn't seem to be something players would even want, I will withdraw this idea from the forum with no repercussions or ill will on my part and just continue privately.

Update:

Here is the latest rendition. Tri-snake has been enlarged, lines have been dropped down to roughly 4" inches within outside border to represent the uncontrolled areas.

:tore: :AUS: :CEL: :PRE: :political:
Last edit: 06 Dec 2012 14:54 by Trigger.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds