file Print On Demand and other languages

20 May 2013 17:34 #48801 by BenPeal
Dunno if this should be posted here or in the General Discussion forum...

While VTES was in print, it was occasionally proposed from the playerbase that VTES be published in languages other than English. Back then, this idea was unfeasible from a business perspective, given the need for entirely new printing plates. With Print On Demand, there's no need for the printing plates (correct?). Perhaps it's now more feasible to have VTES printed in foreign languages. It'd still be a lot of work, given the need for translations, templating of wording in other languages, typesetting, layout, etc.

Thoughts on this? I don't believe the idea is currently in the works, but it might be worth looking into.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2013 17:47 - 20 May 2013 17:50 #48802 by Pascal Bertrand
Maintaining cardlists / Rulebook / rulings / etc in several languages in going to be extremely difficult. If such a thing is done, I will need tons of volunteers.

Also, as far as I know, since V:tES has been printed and played with English cards, many players use the English cardname.

Translating names (with correct references to what they .. refer to) is going to be a hassle. Check Russian players, for example: Would they drop "миньен тап" ?

As far as I know, French players wouldn't play "Contrôle de la Terre" (Earth Control), "Conduite Bestiale" (Freak Drive), "Carna, la Sorcière" or "Appel à la Grande Bête" (Call the Great Beast). Simply because we're used to the English names.

Translating keywords is going to be extremely difficult, as we don't really have that many keywords.
Last edit: 20 May 2013 17:50 by Pascal Bertrand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lech

More
20 May 2013 18:19 #48803 by Szewski
translating the cards, names... isn't a good idea. Even if someone is not familiar with english, he learn the names and basic keywords from another players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lech

More
20 May 2013 18:39 #48804 by Damnans
If the cards were going to be printed in other languages, card names should not be translated.

However, it would be interesting to know if printing cards in other languages would be a good way to promote V:TES and widen its playerbase.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Vlad

More
20 May 2013 18:40 #48805 by ReverendRevolver
I used to be a fan of non english cards in mtg, butcin vtes even cards you see often needd wordimg checked sometimes. And english is technically the language you have to at least know some of to play the game, so english only still works, far as i can see.

More
20 May 2013 19:57 #48811 by Juggernaut1981
The obvious translations would be those languages with wide usage around the world, Spanish, French, Portuguese. Maybe at a stretch something like Chinese but that would become a real hassle since you would need to then maintain almost an entire website in Chinese (and I don't think the game is particularly strong in China).

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds