file Print On Demand and other languages

22 May 2013 14:22 #48938 by ReverendRevolver

The English language has not been a barrier for new players in Portugal.

I suppose the main topic of this thread isn't about the players, but about the quitters / people not interested in playing the game.

Even less of a problem in Portugal.

For example, in Portugal people only use MtG cards in "Portuguese" when forced to by price (cheaper) or stores (draft versions).
Kids know the spells they learn in Hogwarts, and latin is worse than English.

Which reminds me.....

If vatican city ever needs cards in latin, dont ask me for help. High school was a long time ago, and i cant conjigate a damn thing in latin anymore........

;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2013 06:10 - 23 May 2013 06:10 #49001 by wesile

The English language has not been a barrier for new players in Portugal.

Which reminds me.....

If vatican city ever needs cards in latin, dont ask me for help. High school was a long time ago, and i cant conjigate a damn thing in latin anymore........

;)

We will ask the Italians to do the translation to Latin... :D

Now... IMHO we might consider translating card texts and rule books (it makes more sense for Spanish and french because they translate everything), but before that I would like to have POD working in plain English.

One of the things that I would like to see its draft effects for every card. If we are reprinting old stuff that is a good opportunity to do it. I think that at this point that is more relevant than creating language packs.

Last edit: 23 May 2013 06:10 by wesile.

More
23 May 2013 16:48 #49027 by Joscha
I like the idea. I'm convinced, that for some people language IS a barrier and they would play the game more likely without that barrier. I think it'd be worth the try.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
24 May 2013 06:56 #49041 by Brum

I like the idea. I'm convinced, that for some people language IS a barrier and they would play the game more likely without that barrier. I think it'd be worth the try.

It is a gigantic enterprise.
That is the major problem I see with it.

More
24 May 2013 07:44 #49046 by Ohlmann

It is a gigantic enterprise.
That is the major problem I see with it.

I agree. I think people in favor of that don't understand the amount of work that will have to be poured, nor the fact that if it is badly done (which will certainly happen, since it's very hard to do) it's worse than english-only card.

More
24 May 2013 11:51 #49054 by MarcusVitel
As per my previous post I don’t think it is difficult to do, but it has to be done properly. I totally agree. But I strongly believe that making cards available in languages other than English will provide a great benefit for the few people still interested in trying the game for the first time. VEKN members tend to see the situation from a veteran / tournament player’s perspective, but I think it is equally if not more important to bring new to the table and keep the barriers for that as low as possible. If you have a volunteer organization and people are willing to dedicate time to the project, I would rather ask why not to do it?

Here (again) is my suggestion:
•Have the NCs select a project team to translate the rule book and of course choose people who have the language capabilities
•Select a project leader who has the authority to make the calls in case of opposing opinions. He/she needs to have strong knowledge of the V:tM background.
•Have the rulebook translated and at the same time create a dictionary of V:tes terms
•Apply the terminology to the card texts

Question: Didn’t we have a set of translated rule books? Where are those?

-MV-

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds