file Keywords?

13 Nov 2016 05:32 - 13 Nov 2016 05:33 #78945 by xXLazarusXx
Keywords? was created by xXLazarusXx
Is there a list of Keywords for vtes? I notice ssome abilites like "fae" instead of "cold iron vulnerability", "Strength" instead of "hand damage". Replacing words here and there. Skimmed the rules and didn't see it under the important terms section. I'm sure I just missed it somewheres...

Prince of Lodi, Ca
Everyone must ride with Charon, by and by. We merely wish to know what to ask him before we step onto his boat.
:hosk:
Last edit: 13 Nov 2016 05:33 by xXLazarusXx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2016 08:47 #78946 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Keywords?

I notice ssome abilites like "fae" instead of "cold iron vulnerability",

I can't think of any cards that use "fae" as a keyword. There are some cards that use "changeling" as a type of ally or retainer, but that isn't related to "cold iron vulnerability". Thematically, it possibly should be. Mechnically, it isn't - vulnerability only affects vampires, and allies wouldn't care much about aggravated damage anyway.

"Strength" instead of "hand damage". .

The two aren't exactly equivalent. Strength vs hand damage was a change in style, aimed mostly at trying to get people to think about things like melee weapons etc. differently from hand strikes.

Previously, a card like Bastard Sword might say something like "+1 hand damage". The wording in V:TES was "Minion with this weapon inflicts +1 hand damage with each strike." Amongst other ambiguities, this tended to get people going "Oh, so it's inflicting hand damage? So you mean I can play Claws of the Dead on it to get aggravated hand damage?" (Note: you can't do this.)

So now:
- "strength" is your minion's innate damage (default: 1), and some minions have a strength modifier (e.g. Lazverinus)
- the default "hand strike" deals close range damage to your opponent equal to your strength, and the damage it deals is "hand damage"
- there are plenty of other strike cards out there that are hand strikes (e.g. Undead Strength when not using a melee weapon, Quick Jab, Dead Hand)
- there are other strikes based on strength that are not hand strikes and do not deal hand damage (e.g. melee weapons that aren't Bundi, Earthshock which is excluded from being a hand strike because it is ranged damage, Shadow Strike or Smite for the same reason)

More
13 Nov 2016 13:24 #78949 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Keywords?

- there are plenty of other strike cards out there that are hand strikes (e.g. Undead Strength when not using a melee weapon, Quick Jab, Dead Hand).

The realization that Blood Rage was a hand strike in my group was fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
13 Nov 2016 17:00 #78950 by xXLazarusXx
Replied by xXLazarusXx on topic Keywords?
I realized that I had seen the "Fae" keyword on a card on amaranth deckbuilder, and it is not on any of that actual cards. Actual cards have the cold iron wording.

Prince of Lodi, Ca
Everyone must ride with Charon, by and by. We merely wish to know what to ask him before we step onto his boat.

More
13 Nov 2016 18:22 #78951 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Keywords?
I think that has something to do with some of the planned changes in the wording templates?

More
13 Nov 2016 19:17 #78954 by xXLazarusXx
Replied by xXLazarusXx on topic Keywords?
That's good to know. There are a few others I would suggest condensing like the above example, but we run-in to the "more keywords that rules" problem.

Prince of Lodi, Ca

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds