file Contents and card changes in 25th Anniversary revealed

22 Oct 2019 17:22 #97507 by Ismeno
By the way, in the new text of the Ankara Citadel; what does "non-action modifier" mean exactly? Is it simply poor wording or are there actually diferent kinds of modifiers? For example Bonding modifies the current action so it would be an "action modifier"; but Lobotomy is played once the Ally has been recruited successfully so it happens afterwards (so to say) and that would be a "non-action modifier". This would be a great solution to recover playability for a card that hes been unfairly (and unnecessarily) nerfed. Pretty much we could continue using AC as always, except freak drives...
Otherwise, why not simply say "action modifiers", really, the "non-action" thingy ...very confusing. If aaaaaall "action modifiers" are simply action modifiers, the "non" is really annoying

I play Rock Cats. :garg:
Rock Cats with balls of yarn, toy mice and the fingers of disarmed vampires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2019 17:28 #97508 by Michał
I think you should treat it more as "non" and "action modifier", not "non-action" and "modifier"...

More
22 Oct 2019 17:34 - 22 Oct 2019 17:36 #97509 by Ismeno
That... doesn't make much sense... Must be a mistake then. Grammatically speaking, the hyphen "-" is used to join words to indicate that they have a combined meaning like for example "take-away". If "non" and "action" are linked with a hyphen its clear these words are intimately linked.
Edit: there is no evidence anywhere that there are diferent types of modifiers, so... I suppose that's that

Last edit: 22 Oct 2019 17:36 by Ismeno.

More
22 Oct 2019 18:17 - 22 Oct 2019 18:28 #97510 by TwoRazorReign

That... doesn't make much sense... Must be a mistake then. Grammatically speaking, the hyphen "-" is used to join words to indicate that they have a combined meaning like for example "take-away". If "non" and "action" are linked with a hyphen its clear these words are intimately linked.
Edit: there is no evidence anywhere that there are diferent types of modifiers, so... I suppose that's that

If the intended meaning of "non-action modifier" is "cards that are not an action modifier," the hyphen should instead be an en dash: non–action modifier. "action modifier" is an open compound. An en dash instead of a hyphen should be used to connect a prefix such as "non" and an open compound. This is a widely adopted stylistic rule that exists mainly to avoid the confusion that ismeno is experiencing.

Further compounding this confusion may be that we now have "modifier" printed on action modifier cards. "Modifier" is not a card type and should not be used, in my opinion. One could see "modifier" printed on a card, think that the card type is called "modifier," then proceed to read "non-action modifier" as "a modifier that does not modify an action."
Last edit: 22 Oct 2019 18:28 by TwoRazorReign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ismeno

More
22 Oct 2019 18:35 - 23 Oct 2019 09:38 #97511 by Ismeno

If the intended meaning of "non-action modifier" is "cards that are not an action modifier," the hyphen should instead be an en dash: non–action modifier. "action modifier" is an open compound. An en dash instead of a hyphen should be used to connect a prefix such as "non" and an open compound. This is a widely adopted stylistic rule that exists mainly to avoid the confusion that ismeno is experiencing."

Exaaaactly, as I thought, just poor wording/mistake/misprint... But I do admit I was kinda hoping this would actually re-ignite the use of the AC. I'm still butthurt after the nerfing of the AC and not FD...
Bye bye Perfect Clarity :(

Last edit: 23 Oct 2019 09:38 by Ismeno.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds