file URGENT! How to finalise 3-player table in archon?

11 Feb 2012 13:36 #22828 by Azazel
We have 3 player tables and overriding the tables does not finalize it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2012 13:45 - 11 Feb 2012 13:45 #22829 by Adonai
The Archon follows the tournament rules which require tables of 4 or 5 players only.

www.vekn.net/index.php/tournament-rules
Section 3.1.2

Do the math by hand if you aren't running a sanctionable event, it isn't hard.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2012 13:45 by Adonai.

More
11 Feb 2012 14:08 #22830 by Azazel
I think the rules say that you are not forced to use only 4 or 5 player tables, or am I incorrect?

The judge will randomly and impartially assign players in groups of five. In the event that the number of players is not evenly divisible by five, the judge will assign players in groups of four and five, such that as many groups as possible contain five players.
If the players cannot be divided into groups of 4 and 5 (i.e., there are 6, 7, or 11 players), then the judge may elect to use a seating arrangement in which some players sit out each round (while still ensuring that every player plays the same number of games, usually equal to one less than the number of rounds).

More
11 Feb 2012 15:45 - 11 Feb 2012 15:46 #22832 by Adonai

If the players cannot be divided into groups of 4 and 5 (i.e., there are 6, 7, or 11 players), then the judge may elect to use a seating arrangement in which some players sit out each round (while still ensuring that every player plays the same number of games, usually equal to one less than the number of rounds).

There is no 11 player tournament.
There is only a 10 player tournament with a non-playing judge, or there is a 12 player tournament that is multi-judged.

There is no 6 player tournament.
There is only a 5 player tournament with a non-playing judge.

There is no 7 player tournament without having multiple rounds and people sitting out each game.

If you have 6-7 players, its past time to turn to recruiting new players and you should use the extra players to demo to others immediately.

A good tournament requires 4/5 player tables, no other number is acceptable.

Enjoy the games!
Last edit: 11 Feb 2012 15:46 by Adonai.

More
12 Feb 2012 07:22 #22851 by henrik

There is no 11 player tournament.
There is only a 10 player tournament with a non-playing judge, or there is a 12 player tournament that is multi-judged.

I don't really understand what you mean here. 11 player tournaments surely exists, there's at least 10 such tournaments registered in the TWDA.
Having people sitting out each game (and modifying the amount of rounds) has worked for tournaments I've been at in the past, has anything changed regarding these things?

The rules quoted by Azazel seems to support the "sitting out" solution for 11 players as well as 6/7.

More
12 Feb 2012 17:23 - 12 Feb 2012 17:24 #22878 by Adonai

I don't really understand what you mean here. 11 player tournaments surely exists, there's at least 10 such tournaments registered in the TWDA.

Most of them come from a player arriving later and another dropping.
Well run tournaments don't have 11 players.

Having people sitting out each game (and modifying the amount of rounds) has worked for tournaments I've been at in the past, has anything changed regarding these things?

No.
A sucky experience for multiple people is a poorly organized (i.e. bad) tournament. The correct (i.e. best) tournament is organized by a player that is sufficiently selfish that they recognize that getting the other 10 attendees to have the best event possible leads to more repeat attendance at future events. The failure of an organizer to see this and act appropriately is a detriment to the tournament scene. I can point to over a dozen events in my history where the organizer has sat out to ensure that all players played in every round. I've been that organizer a significant proportion of the time.

The rules quoted by Azazel seems to support the "sitting out" solution for 11 players as well as 6/7.

That the rules allow it doesn't make it a good idea.
If you don't have 8 players, you don't need to be running a tournament, you need to be running demos. If you have 11 attendees, the tournament is best played with 10 of them and only 1 sitting out.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2012 17:24 by Adonai.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds