file URGENT! How to finalise 3-player table in archon?

12 Feb 2012 17:36 #22880 by Brum

If you don't have 8 players, you don't need to be running a tournament, you need to be running demos.

I shall quote this allot.
Gold.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2012 17:48 - 12 Feb 2012 17:50 #22881 by henrik

I don't really understand what you mean here. 11 player tournaments surely exists, there's at least 10 such tournaments registered in the TWDA.

Most of them come from a player arriving later and another dropping.
Well run tournaments don't have 11 players.

Oh, didn't know that. All 11 player tournaments I've been at has been due to only 11 players attending, and us agreeing that all players sitting out one round would be more fun than one player sitting out the entire tournament.

No.
A sucky experience for multiple people is a poorly organized (i.e. bad) tournament. The correct (i.e. best) tournament is organized by a player that is sufficiently selfish that they recognize that getting the other 10 attendees to have the best event possible leads to more repeat attendance at future events. The failure of an organizer to see this and act appropriately is a detriment to the tournament scene. I can point to over a dozen events in my history where the organizer has sat out to ensure that all players played in every round. I've been that organizer a significant proportion of the time.

On the 11 player tournaments I've attended we (the players+organizer) has agreed that it'd be more fun to go with one sitout each than having one person sit out the entire tournament. Whether it's common or not, good or bad for the tournament scene isn't what I asked about though. I just wondered what you meant when you said that "There is no 11 player tournament", since it wasn't entirely clear that it was a normative statement.

The rules quoted by Azazel seems to support the "sitting out" solution for 11 players as well as 6/7.

That the rules allow it doesn't make it a good idea.
If you don't have 8 players, you don't need to be running a tournament, you need to be running demos. If you have 11 attendees, the tournament is best played with 10 of them and only 1 sitting out.

Sure, I wasn't talking about whether the idea was good or bad here. For optimal tables, I agree that having only 5 player tables is the best for tournaments. I wouldn't go as far as demanding people to sit out just to achieve that though, whether it's 1 out of 11 or 4 out of 24 players.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2012 17:50 by henrik.

More
12 Feb 2012 18:01 #22882 by Adonai

Sure, I wasn't talking about whether the idea was good or bad here.

I don't now, nor have I ever, spoken for V:EKN.
I can only describe the optimal game.
Take what you will from that.

More
13 Feb 2012 08:10 #22913 by Lönkka

If you don't have 8 players, you don't need to be running a tournament, you need to be running demos.

Lack of demos here in Helsinki area isn't a problem.
We should have more than enough people, but it is just sometimes people aren't able to show up for one reason or another.

Last Saturday's tournament was 11 players, January monthly tournament had 20 and the one in December 16.

Sometimes you just end up with odd number of people attending.
Late last year we also had 11 players and since I was judging I decided not to play. And, even if no huge biggie, it was kinda a drag...

Both judges (way more qualified than me) present last Saturday as well as all the players too thought that it would be nicer for everyone to be able to play. I might've even suggested that since I had already qualified at the FCQ, as well as being a part of the staff, that I'd be the one to sit out.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
17 May 2012 09:22 #30634 by Squidalot
11 is fine but 2 rounds each with everyone missing a 3rd round is awkward - it is opitmal to have more players

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds