exclamation-circle US Championship for 2013 - Host Nominations and Discussion

23 Sep 2012 15:31 #37566 by Stone
just a thought, but why don't you host it in US embassy in Paris ? it'll still be US soil and it would avoid any possible argument about LA or SF or whatsnot (I didn't follow everything, plus having trouble handling beer). plus, you'd get a fubar number of non-US players
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pascal Bertrand, Lönkka, david.tatu, Reyda, Ohlmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2012 17:45 #37751 by KevinM
We'll host the US Championships in Paris if you host the French National Championships in Washington, D.C. ...

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ohlmann

More
25 Sep 2012 18:15 #37753 by Boris The Blade
It is on its way. The French Championship is already moving to a foreign country west of France this year: Brittany.

More
31 Oct 2012 16:37 #40146 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple
Since '13 is set in Atlanta, I would consider hosting '14 in Denver.

Advantages:
  1. Semi-centralized US location
  2. DIA is a hub for multiple national airlines
  3. Reasonably large local play group
  4. Inexpensive compared to "big city" options
  5. Several local players acted as hosts/bed-and-breakfasts during the recent Seattle-Denver shindig, I expect we could do it again for US Champs
  6. Many BSG players
  7. Improved scenery compared to many other locations :whistle:

Disadvantages:
  1. Airport is in the middle of nowhere
  2. Limited public transport from airport to potential venues
  3. Not an easy automotive commute from anywhere (~16 hours from LA, ~20 hours from OH)
  4. Not affiliated with a convention or wider gaming community

Summary:

Compared to the public transport in Atlanta or the airport-proximal convention in LA, transport from DIA is a major pain - it would likely require a lot of local player courtesy shuttling. We did it for the Seattle group, but it wasn't without a few hiccups. If personally-coordinated arrivals are a factor, logistics rule out Denver.

I haven't yet looked into venues, but I could see any number of pubs or pizza joints being willing to host us for 3-5 days (like WoN 2012). It would just be a question of wanting to be in downtown Denver (pedestrian friendly, more entertainment/dining options, but higher hotel costs) or in an outlying area (limited external entertainment options, lower overall cost).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adonai, BenPeal, KevinM

More
31 Oct 2012 18:43 #40168 by prunesquallor
As an attendee of the recent semi-impromptu Seattle-goes-to-Denver event, I can say that Denver has many great players and gracious hosts, and I would love the excuse to go back...

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds