question-circle Simple Questions Part 1

02 Jan 2013 12:10 #43526 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Simple Questions Part 1

BTW In the new cards both the artwork creator and the card creator (if different) should be written on the card, at least on my view.

A card effect is mostly a team work, changed through beta testing, reworded for clarity etc., so it's pretty rare that only 1 single person can be accreditated as the creator (although usually the card idea originates from 1 person).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: wesile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2013 12:48 #43527 by wesile
Replied by wesile on topic Re: Simple Questions Part 1

BTW In the new cards both the artwork creator and the card creator (if different) should be written on the card, at least on my view.

A card effect is mostly a team work, changed through beta testing, reworded for clarity etc., so it's pretty rare that only 1 single person can be accreditated as the creator (although usually the card idea originates from 1 person).

Hum... you are right. Most cards are changed by more than one element.

More
02 Jan 2013 16:31 #43536 by AaronC
Replied by AaronC on topic Re: Simple Questions Part 1

When the V:EKN makes this statement

"9. Any submissions are considered the property of the V:EKN. No compensation. No rights."

and then someone sort of from the V:EKN says, "We're not a legal entity," there's a real disconnect there.

I'm suprised that no one has addressed this point that Jeff made.

If VEKN is not a legal entity, then it cannot own anything. Therefore #9 is invalid. Submissions cannot become the legal property of an entity that has no legal standing.

I think the IC members wrote that so that they can use submissions in their new sets without the contributors micromanaging how their submissions are used. That's understandable. They might be better covered by saying "Submissions are considered the property of Johannes Walch (or other VEKN member)". From what I can tell based on the activities of PCK, submissions to VEKN are NOT the property of VEKN.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Kuta

More
02 Jan 2013 17:03 - 02 Jan 2013 17:07 #43538 by Boris The Blade

If VEKN is not a legal entity, then it cannot own anything. Therefore #9 is invalid. Submissions cannot become the legal property of an entity that has no legal standing.

It is not only invalid, it is also inaccurate. If the submission was to be given to VEKN, then at some point the original author would have to stop working on it and hand it over. That's not how it works in practice: people post a first draft, discuss it, amend it, and nobody ever gets to say that the public part is final.

It would be both legally clearer and closer to the intent to replace that point with "Public submissions and amendments of submissions are put in the public domain." It still ensures that the VEKN can use the ideas without hassle, it does not prevent the original author from keeping working on it on his side and it does not require the VEKN to do anything if it rejects the submission.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2013 17:07 by Boris The Blade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Kuta

More
02 Jan 2013 18:32 #43545 by Squidalot
I'll prod the DT to get their thoughts but it seems a moot point at the moment (submission process launched post design of the first set) and the intent of the paragraph I think would still stand (that the cards could be used or a derivative used to produce a VEKN set).

More
03 Jan 2013 07:36 #43563 by direwolf

As someone who has created and continues to create V:TES related- and inspired-content, these conflicts or disconnects are directly relevant to my interests.

How so?
If you post card ideas without stating they are a submissions, they are not considered as submission and therefore V:EKN has no rights over it. I don't see how it directly affects you.

For instance, I create content too, some of it is clearly submission, the rest isn't.

Secondly, if someone posts a card idea and expressly states he or she relinquishes all rights over it to the "VEKN", that person implicitly acknowledges the existence of a party identified as "VEKN". (And the V:EKN organization exists, so does the forum, it's not something conceptual).

Interesting. So, I've posted a lot of card ideas prior to your "submission" guidelines. I have not declared that my ideas to be official "submissions" or not.

Therefore, any card Idea I've submitted to these forums are my own property. If you wish to use my property in a published set of cards, you may do so at the cost of ten copies of every card printed. If you are a publisher, PM me for my mailing address thank you.

Or, you could ask nicely and buy me a taco. I like tacos.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds