question-circle World Ranking

30 Oct 2013 05:07 #55922 by Desso Alastor
World Ranking was created by Desso Alastor
Questions:

1º The World Ranking is updated automatically after the approval of the archon?

2º The rank sum the results of the last 12 months or longer?

Desso Alastor
Organized Play Coordinator VEKN
Prince of São Paulo / Brazil ID#706

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2013 06:35 - 30 Oct 2013 06:35 #55928 by er-principe
Replied by er-principe on topic Re: World Ranking

Questions:

1º The World Ranking is updated automatically after the approval of the archon?

No, a batch runs nightly so usually you can see ranks change from day to day, not just after archon upload

2º The rank sum the results of the last 12 months or longer?

Last 18 months from current date, as per vekn rules

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 30 Oct 2013 06:35 by er-principe.

More
30 Oct 2013 15:18 #55960 by AaronC
Replied by AaronC on topic Re: World Ranking
I didn't realize that VEKN was still maintaining the WW ranking system.

Is it supposed to be valid? For instance, I am not in the list, and I have attended at least 12 tournaments in the past 18 months, including the 2012 NAC, and won four.

It's also missing the names of several other Americans I know from the West Coast, some of who have also won tournaments. The list of Americans seems to contain the same names as the rating systems maintained by WW before it closed, including the names of some people who obviously haven't attended any events for a very, very long time.

More
30 Oct 2013 16:26 #55968 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: World Ranking

Is it supposed to be valid?

I think this depends on two factors:

1) How diligent the tournament coordinators are at submitting their results.
2) How much the national coordinator cares to follow-up.

For example, Finland is great at submitting their results and Lonkka follows-up with them regularly. The United States is at the other end of that spectrum.

Perhaps this is because many of us don't care about the rankings all the much; they haven't meant anything, so why bother? Of course, in light of Gines' proposals, we'll see if things change.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
30 Oct 2013 16:29 - 30 Oct 2013 16:29 #55970 by Damnans
Replied by Damnans on topic Re: World Ranking

I didn't realize that VEKN was still maintaining the WW ranking system.

Is it supposed to be valid?

Yes.

For instance, I am not in the list, and I have attended at least 12 tournaments in the past 18 months, including the 2012 NAC, and won four.

It's also missing the names of several other Americans I know from the West Coast, some of who have also won tournaments. The list of Americans seems to contain the same names as the rating systems maintained by WW before it closed, including the names of some people who obviously haven't attended any events for a very, very long time.

That is because many American events have not been reported yet.

In your case, only four tournaments held in the last 18 months have been reported:

www.vekn.net/player-registry/player/2200107

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2013 16:29 by Damnans.

More
30 Oct 2013 18:08 - 30 Oct 2013 18:10 #55972 by AaronC
Replied by AaronC on topic Re: World Ranking

That is because many American events have not been reported yet.

In your case, only four tournaments held in the last 18 months have been reported:

www.vekn.net/player-registry/player/2200107

I participated in all four of those and won two of them. Of the remaining tournaments shown in that link, I participated in 13.

I started playing in tournaments end of 2008/beginning of 2009. After my first tournaments my name was never added to the ranking. Robyn Tatu said there was some problem with the entry of my name and that of others as well. The rankings system had unfixed technical problems, and then the game got cancelled.

The evidence points to no names having been added or removed from the ranking registry since 2008. Under "Country - United States" are listed many, many players who did not participate in those 4 tournaments you indicated. Yet at the same time, there are lots of players in there from events that must have taken place a long, long time ago. I am almost absolutely sure it is the same list of players that existed when I looked up the same thing on the WW website back when it was in existence. I live in Pasadena and have never heard of Dwight Nation or Chase Linbo. The names of some players, such as Bill Troxel, are made conspicuous by their absence.

Additionally, there is a serious problem with the organization of VEKN if the results from the North American Championships have never been entered into its ranking system.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2013 18:10 by AaronC.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds