file Guide and Mentor questions

13 Sep 2011 23:23 #10134 by Mael
Hi,

If I have Guide and Mentor in play,
1) Can a vampire who already has an archetype on him search for (and fail to find) an archetype?
2) Do you gain the blood if you fail to find an archetype? (I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes, but just want to confirm)

Thank you.

Cardtext:

Guide and Mentor
Master
Put this card in play. A vampire you control may search your library
for a master: archetype and move 1 blood from the blood bank and that
card to him or herself as a +1 stealth action that cost X pool where X
is the number of copies of the card on minions you control
(requirement and cost apply as normal)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2011 04:49 #10137 by Pascal Bertrand

Hi,

1) Can a vampire who already has an archetype on him search for (and fail to find) an archetype?

Yes, similarly to [LSJ 20031117] . You can't choose/find an archetype that couldn't be played on that vampire (which means you can't get an archetype if you already have one, but you can still perform the action).

2) Do you gain the blood if you fail to find an archetype? (I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes, but just want to confirm)

Yes, similarly to Alastor when no weapon is found: [LSJ 20050401]

More
28 Mar 2012 05:07 #26687 by jamesatzephyr

Hi,

Yes, similarly to [LSJ 20031117] . You can't choose/find an archetype that couldn't be played on that vampire (which means you can't get an archetype if you already have one, but you can still perform the action).

So based on this conversation over here: vekn.net/index.php/forum/6-rules-questions/26588-guide-and-mentor#26680

it looks like we have two conflicting rulings.

Lord Ashton doesn't let you search for a discipline card, if you can't possibly find a legal one. But apparently here you can search for an archetype, even though you can't possibly find a legal one. (In both cases, it's "search" where you can potentially fail.)

It appears that the two rulings are in conflict.

More
28 Mar 2012 06:30 #26691 by Ankha

Hi,

So based on this conversation over here: vekn.net/index.php/forum/6-rules-questions/26588-guide-and-mentor#26680

it looks like we have two conflicting rulings.

Lord Ashton doesn't let you search for a discipline card, if you can't possibly find a legal one. But apparently here you can search for an archetype, even though you can't possibly find a legal one. (In both cases, it's "search" where you can potentially fail.)

It appears that the two rulings are in conflict.

Lord Ashton:
Independent: Any other Gangrel can search his or her controller's library for an Animalism, Fortitude or Protean Master: Discipline card and move it to himself or herself as a +1 stealth action

Guide and Mentor:
Put this card in play. A vampire you control may search your library for a master: archetype and move 1 blood from the bank and that card to himself or herself as a +1 stealth action that costs X pool where X is the number of copies of that card on minions you control (requirements and cost apply as normal).

The difference I see between both effects is that:
1/ Lord Ashton allows you to take an action to fetch a discipline card, and that's all
2/ Guide and Mentor allows you to take an action during which a/ you may fetch an archetype b/ you gain 1 blood

In case 2/, even if you don't get any archetype, you can still gain 1 blood.

Question is: if vampire V already has an archetype, can he still search your library and fail his search (in order to shuffle), or not? According to Lord Ashton's ruling, no. (This could be stupid in case new archetypes are created that allow multiple archetypes on the same vampire.)

I really think the ruling about Lord Ashton should be reversed. The limitation about discipline cards and superior level is written on the discipline card itself, not on Lord Ashton's special nor in the rules. So you should be able to search your library, fail to find a playable discipline card (either because you choose to, or because you already have superior ANI FOR PRO). Are players supposed to know the cardtext of cards that haven't been played or are not in play?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
28 Mar 2012 08:09 #26698 by Reyda
The correct answer is : who gives a f*** ? :/
let's make a ruling so lord ashton's action can be attempted even if you already have all inclan superior ! So we can tap our vampires for no reason. I can't sleep until this ruling is written in marble ! There surely may not be more important things on the RTR !

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier

More
28 Mar 2012 08:29 #26700 by jamesatzephyr

So we can tap our vampires for no reason.!

Having a permanently available way to shuffle your library may be unimportant to you, but it is not "no reason".

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds