file Play to win rule in a final

26 Sep 2011 19:18 #11010 by TorranceCircle

I have experienced the play-to-win rule being enforced. It was at the 2010 EC, the First-Chance Qualifier.

Table: Me (Ventrue Law Firm with Arika) -> B (Mata Hari vote) -> C (Nosferatu Royalty) -> D (!Brujah rush with titled vampires) -> E (Mistress Fanchion/Orlando Oriandus vote/bleed)

As you can see, there were lots of votes on the table. I don't remember everything exactly, but there was a lot of shifting around of voting allegiances. Player C called Parity Shift on Player E and had the vote support to pass it. Player E complained to the judge that it was not play-to-win, and the judge agreed and made Player C choose a different target or take back his action. Player E ended up ousting me, got 1.5 VPs (the most at the table), and went to the final of the tournament.

I think that Player C's prey was a legitimate target of Parity Shift, which I believe was Player D's argument. I have never seen a player insist an action be taken back because of Play-to-Win, much less succeed.

Player C, Player D, and I had formed a voting block, but none of us was articulate enough to argue past E, who was very insistent. But this is not a case of someone potentially breaking Play-to-Win because of inaction, but rather because of cross-table action.

Things to take into account: player C was forfeiting the GW and it had been 20 min played so far (thus, another 1h40m remaining) (that is - if my memeory serves me well).

How was player C forfeiting the GW? Based on the information given (again), couldn't player B, with 1h40min remaining, have liked his chances in the 4-player game more than in the 5-player?

I'm curious about this because I've never seen a judge tell a player "you are not playing to win?" Which is my answer to Mephistopheles' question in an earlier post. That is, I've never seen it happen.

I have seen a judge threaten to disqualify if a player were to transfer out. But this was a general announcement and not specific to an in game situation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2011 19:47 #11014 by Haze
I am in favor of using this "don't collude" rule for kibitzing. many times I simply fail to notice an important card on the table affecting the situation, and then make the wrong move that eliminates my chances for a Gamewin. I should ask the judge every time I do something, "am I playing to win?" so he can advise me what to do -- "NO! Fame will oust your prey. Take that action back, and play that other card in your hand so you can score some VPs."

"Have I done everything during my Untap phase that satisfies Play To Win, judge?" "NO! You forgot you have the edge. Gain 1 pool or I disqualify you." "Oh ok"

More
26 Sep 2011 20:07 #11015 by Ankha

How was player C forfeiting the GW? Based on the information given (again), couldn't player B, with 1h40min remaining, have liked his chances in the 4-player game more than in the 5-player?

Maybe. Maybe not. I guess that judging during the game is much easier than discussing about it with so much informations lost in time. The judge can take other factors into account (the current player's attitude for instance).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
26 Sep 2011 20:08 - 26 Sep 2011 20:10 #11016 by Pascal Bertrand

I have experienced the play-to-win rule being enforced. It was at the 2010 EC, the First-Chance Qualifier.

Table: Me (Ventrue Law Firm with Arika) -> B (Mata Hari vote) -> C (Nosferatu Royalty) -> D (!Brujah rush with titled vampires) -> E (Mistress Fanchion/Orlando Oriandus vote/bleed)

As you can see, there were lots of votes on the table. I don't remember everything exactly, but there was a lot of shifting around of voting allegiances. Player C called Parity Shift on Player E and had the vote support to pass it. Player E complained to the judge that it was not play-to-win, and the judge agreed and made Player C choose a different target or take back his action. Player E ended up ousting me, got 1.5 VPs (the most at the table), and went to the final of the tournament.

I think that Player C's prey was a legitimate target of Parity Shift, which I believe was Player D's argument. I have never seen a player insist an action be taken back because of Play-to-Win, much less succeed.

Player C, Player D, and I had formed a voting block, but none of us was articulate enough to argue past E, who was very insistent. But this is not a case of someone potentially breaking Play-to-Win because of inaction, but rather because of cross-table action.

Things to take into account: player C was forfeiting the GW and it had been 20 min played so far (thus, another 1h40m remaining) (that is - if my memeory serves me well).

By the deal C was passing with D - where C would have been ousting each of D's preys in a row (again, that's what I recall now from that game which happened 1 year ago and of which I saw 3 minutes). And the answer given to "would such a deal be legal?" was "No."

I'm curious about this because I've never seen a judge tell a player "you are not playing to win?" Which is my answer to Mephistopheles' question in an earlier post. That is, I've never seen it happen.

I have seen a judge threaten to disqualify if a player were to transfer out. But this was a general announcement and not specific to an in game situation.

Transfering oneself out is a valid move. Not respecting the PTW (or a deal previously made) is an illegal move. Only in these situations should a call to the judge be made.
Last edit: 26 Sep 2011 20:10 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
26 Sep 2011 20:19 #11018 by KevinM
It sounds to me like this player was just a fool and really has no idea how to manipulate the cards properly. You can't legislate against stupidity.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
26 Sep 2011 21:00 - 26 Sep 2011 21:02 #11021 by AaronC

By the deal C was passing with D - where C would have been ousting each of D's preys in a row (again, that's what I recall now from that game which happened 1 year ago and of which I saw 3 minutes). And the answer given to "would such a deal be legal?" was "No."

I don't remember the part where C had agreed to oust E for D, and then me as well. It certainly might have been the agreement - C wasn't acting very logically, and he certainly was not able to argue his actions in terms of Play-to-Win when confronted by Pascal. I was surprised he Parity Shifted E, because no one ever falls for my powers of persuasion. I didn't get that C had explicitly forfeited the game, but we were speaking French (I was being nice to one of the players whose English was weak), and maybe I missed that part.

To be honest, getting Player E out of the game might not have been a bad thing at all for C since E had 10 votes and was in a better position than the rest of us. E was in a very strong position. D couldn't get past E's Obediences and Deflections; Arika was Sense Depped and I couldn't draw enough Deflections; B couldn't pass any votes between me and C, and he had to pay pool for his vote-gaining locations because of Arika. Getting rid of me would have gotten rid of another 6 votes plus the Ventrue HQ. It's possible that with B, C, and D in the game only, C would have had a great chance to Parity Shift with impunity (12 extra pool to get), blocking back rushes with his Progenies.

I don't necessarily disagree with the ruling; I might have made the same ruling. I could see how Pascal made it, especially because of the way that Player C acted. All C had to do was say, "That is my strategy, and I think it will help me win.", but he didn't do that.
Last edit: 26 Sep 2011 21:02 by AaronC. Reason: clarify which player did what

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds