file Gwyedd and Horrific Countenance

14 May 2012 12:16 #30262 by Megabaja
Horrific Countenance
Type: Action Modifier
Requires: Protean
Cost: 4 blood
Only usable when this vampire is blocked.
[pro] Untap the blocking minion. This action is not blocked, and it is now unblockable.

Gwyedd
Clan: Gangrel (group 4)
Capacity: 10
Disciplines: ANI DEM FOR POT PRO tem
Camarilla primogen: When Gwyedd is performing an undirected action, any younger vampire who attempts to block and fails is tapped after resolution.

What happens when Gwyedd plays Horrific countenace? Is blocking minion tapped in the end, or not?

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

:trub:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2012 12:27 - 14 May 2012 12:30 #30263 by Pascal Bertrand
Hm.
The blocking minion did block (requirement to play Horrific Coutenance), so the blocking minion isn't tapped by Gwyedd's ability.
Last edit: 14 May 2012 12:30 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
14 May 2012 12:33 - 14 May 2012 12:40 #30266 by Megabaja
Interesting.
It is clearly written on Horrific Countenance that action is not blocked.

EDIT:
And maybe I'm wrong but the check if block attempt failed is resolved after the resolution of an action taken by Gwyedd. Or not?

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

:trub:
Last edit: 14 May 2012 12:40 by Megabaja.

More
14 May 2012 14:31 #30278 by jamesatzephyr

Hm.
The blocking minion did block (requirement to play Horrific Coutenance), so the blocking minion isn't tapped by Gwyedd's ability.

It would seem to me that "This action is not blocked" is equivalent to "Cancel the current block" or similar wording on other cards.

In particular:

[LSJ 20030211]

> What happens if i played a faceless nights at superior before the
> elder impersonation (and/or the horrific countenance)?

Faceless Night wins. See CE card text.

More
14 May 2012 14:49 #30280 by Ankha
Elder Impersonation doesn't work the same way as Horrific Countenance. I suppose that LSJ's answer covers Elder Impersonation and that he was assuming Horrific Countenance had a similar text. This could be asked to him.

Anyway,
A) A minion has blocked.
B) The action is not blocked.

are two compatible facts (see also Form of Mist and any card that continues the action). There's a slight difference between a failed block attempt and an action blocked that continues or "is not blocked".

Since the minion has blocked (condition in order to play Horrific Countenance), it won't be tapped. It would be the same if Gwyedd plays Form of Mist superior instead.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
14 May 2012 15:25 #30289 by jamesatzephyr

Elder Impersonation doesn't work the same way as Horrific Countenance. I suppose that LSJ's answer covers Elder Impersonation and that he was assuming Horrific Countenance had a similar text.

In a thread which was about why Elder Impersonation's text was different from Horrific Countenance's, and why hadn't the Rules Team or Design Team decided to change Horrific Countenance to match Elder Impersonation, LSJ assumed that the two had the same card text?

That seems... untenable.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds