question-circle Tournament rules - Number of players per table

25 Sep 2012 00:55 #37696 by Adonai
One reading of the tournament rules reveals:

"Tables of 4 & 5 players are required by the tournament rules and no other quantity is allowed, in fact all other quantities are prohibited in standard constructed tournaments."

Specifically, 3.1.2.
vekn.net/index.php/tournament-rules

The judge will randomly and impartially assign players in groups of five. In the event that the number of players is not evenly divisible by five, the judge will assign players in groups of four and five, such that as many groups as possible contain five players.

What is the official interpretation of this document?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Azazel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2012 03:09 #37698 by Azazel
Thanks for asking this!

This is the confusing paragraph in my opinion. The "may use" part.

"If the players cannot be divided into groups of 4 and 5 (i.e., there are 6, 7, or 11 players), then the judge may elect to use a seating arrangement in which some players sit out each round (while still ensuring that every player plays the same number of games, usually equal to one less than the number of rounds)."

More
25 Sep 2012 04:12 #37704 by Kraus

Thanks for asking this!

This is the confusing paragraph in my opinion. The "may use" part.

"If the players cannot be divided into groups of 4 and 5 (i.e., there are 6, 7, or 11 players), then the judge may elect to use a seating arrangement in which some players sit out each round (while still ensuring that every player plays the same number of games, usually equal to one less than the number of rounds)."

What I gather of these quotes, a player who sits a game out has to be given a chance to play his game still. In a 11 player tournament that would mean that there would need to be 11 rounds so that everyone gets to play exactly 10. That's not exactly reasonable, since we hardly find time for 3R+F in our local tournaments. 2R+F has been found sufficient, fun and reasonable for everyone.

It's not exactly fair that a random player sits a game out, nor is it exaclty fun for anyone either. In Tampere, I heard, they used a mechanic that the leading player sits the table out if there's need. In smaller, local tournaments like ours, it might be an okay idea, since that 2+GW (which will be the minimum to qualify as a 'leading player' in most cases, I believe) might still be enough for finals, but anyone sitting games out diminishes his chances of getting into finals considerably.

No one likes 11 player tournaments, or tables of 4, not to mention 3, or the occasions that someone needs to leave for a reason or another which messes up the tables, but what's really the BEST way to deal with these issues?

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
25 Sep 2012 04:26 #37706 by jhattara
Didn't Archon have a seating chart for 11 player tournaments? IIRC 11 player tournaments are played in 3 rounds, first round has tables of 5 and 4, second round a single table of 5 and third round tables of 4 and 4. Each player plays two games.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

More
25 Sep 2012 04:40 #37710 by Azazel
Yes it does, but as the rules say it´s optional to use that seating.

More
25 Sep 2012 04:44 #37715 by jhattara

Yes it does, but as the rules say it´s optional to use that seating.

Yes, it's optional, but it's also one of the exactly two ways to play 11 player tournament in 3 rounds by having rounds of 9, 8 and 5 players. The other is to have rounds of 9, 9 and 4 players.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kude

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds