question-circle Concealed + Infernal Pursuit

21 Oct 2012 08:03 - 21 Oct 2012 08:09 #39561 by Boris The Blade

Cards are not played together.
Play one card, wait for DI, replace, then play next card.

How does that relate to the question at hand? The Beretta is not played at all, it is put in play as part of the Concealed Weapon resolution. Besides, non-action or strike cards played are replaced after resolution (cf Complete Rules Reference, Section II), so the Beretta is put in play before replacing the Concealed Weapon. Since there is no such delay for cards that are not played, I guess the Beretta is also replaced before the Concealed Weapon. Finally, Infernal Pursuit does not say "draw 1 more, then discard 1", it says "draw 1 more, then discard down to your hand size".

So with 1 Infernal Pursuit in play, that would give the sequence:

1) Play Concealed Weapon (and announce which weapon you choose).
2) Put the weapon in play.
3) Replace the weapon: draw 2, discard 0.
4) Replace the Concealed Weapon: draw 2, discard 2.

In that case, it is equivalent to replacing simultaneously. Now with 2 Infernal Pursuits:

1) Play Concealed Weapon (and announce which weapon you choose).
2) Put the weapon in play.
3) Replace the weapon: draw 3, discard 1.
4) Replace the Concealed Weapon: draw 3, discard 3.

OK, that is just weird. Maybe we need a ruling that says cards are not replaced during a card's resolution? That would force the Concealed and the weapon to be replaced together.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2012 08:09 by Boris The Blade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2012 19:27 #39618 by Pascal Bertrand
Adonai is correct.

When playing Concealed Weapon, you must have a legal target (otherwise, you couldn't play it). What this means is that you have a legal target. Not that you put it in play before replacing Concealed Weapon.

Similarly, you don't play the political action listed on a political action card as you play Charming Lobby. Wait for resolution of the card (which, for Concealed Weapon, is rather short, or for the action's resolution - Jack of BOth Sides, Charming Lobby, ..)

@ Boris the Blade: I don't know how "D-Replace" has been ending after "C-Resolve", but it's clearly not the correct place - for instance, you do replace your action cards before the "as announced" window, enabling you to play that Seduction you've just drawn - or that Conditioning.

More
21 Oct 2012 20:28 - 21 Oct 2012 23:19 #39623 by Boris The Blade

@ Boris the Blade: I don't know how "D-Replace" has been ending after "C-Resolve", but it's clearly not the correct place - for instance, you do replace your action cards before the "as announced" window, enabling you to play that Seduction you've just drawn - or that Conditioning.

"C-Resolve" has exceptions for action and strike cards so that example does not seem to break it (although the wording does not clearly state that you move to D right away even if something is delayed in C).

Infernal Pursuit might be the very reason why it was placed in that order: just so you draw the extra card when replacing the Infernal Pursuit. IIRC it is currently the only card that affects how you draw, but one could imagine a :nec: modifier that lets you draw from your ash heap until the end of the action, for example.

EDIT:

Cards with "Do not replace ..." clauses also affect how you draw, but resolving before replacing does not really help to time those effects since they still need to resolve earlier than the rest of the card for strike and action cards.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2012 23:19 by Boris The Blade.

More
22 Oct 2012 05:34 #39625 by KevinM

If you have a judge handy, he can certainly verify that you have the weapon before the other players decide to DI or DI2 or not.

If you don't have a judge handy, trust your opponents until they've proved themselves assholes.

And if they're assholes:
1. Play Concealed Weapon.
2. Place your chosen weapon on the table, face down.
3. Wait for DI, replace CW etc.
4. Flip the weapon.

No, no, no. That's what THEY should be forced to do if THEY are assholes. Since YOU are not an asshole, you should play properly.
;)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
22 Oct 2012 11:52 #39635 by Xaddam
As a tangent:

I have played one Infernal Pursuit. After I play the Concealed Weapon and I replace two cards. Can I discard the equipment I chose for my Concealed Weapon?

If yes, can I discard the specific card I chose and avoid playing another, say, .44 Magnum from my hand. This card would share the same name as the card I chose for my concealed, but not be the same exact card. Obviously this would be same question as: do I chose a specific card or do I chose a card name to Conceal?

If yes to the first question, would this mirror the ruling on fizzled actions that I should pay the cost even when the effect fails. Would I pay the pool for the weapon even if the Concealed Weapon fails to play a weapon?

Adam Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Örebro

More
22 Oct 2012 11:58 #39636 by Ohlmann
[quote="Xaddam" post=39635do I chose a specific card or do I chose a card name to Conceal?[/quote]

I had a response recently explaining it's the card name that count, not the individual card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xaddam

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds