file Oubliette VS Glancing Blow

22 Sep 2014 22:09 #65681 by rezwits
I have a question: if I am attacking a Vampire who has OBT with a Muddled Vampire Hunter, and he use Oubliette the Muddled Vampire Hunter dies, even if the Muddled Hunter uses Glancing Blow, correct? Because the superior effect of Oubliette, which is: [obt] Strike: combat ends.
[OBT] As above, and the opposing minion burns 1 blood or life after combat (even at long range).

Means that the damage from the Strike is Zero, and then there is an after combat burn of 1 life.

Because Glancing Blow states: Do not replace until your next untap phase.
Prevent 1 damage from the opposing minion's strike. Of which the Strike is Strike: Combat Ends.

Please let me know thanks

I think this is how this works. I googled a little and didn't find anything.

Laters...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2014 04:11 - 23 Sep 2014 04:12 #65687 by Ankha
First of all, Oubliette doesn't inflict damage, it burns blood. So even if it happened during combat, it couldn't be prevented.

Secundly, you can't play combat cards after combat has ended.

So if we consider Catatonic Fear that does damage after combat (same timing as Oubliette's "burn blood"), you can't play Glancing Blow to prevent it since Glancing Blow is a combat card that must be played during combat.

Name: Catatonic Fear
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Presence
 Strike: combat ends.
 As above, and inflict 1 damage to the opposing minion once combat ends if the range is close.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 23 Sep 2014 04:12 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rezwits

More
23 Sep 2014 07:13 #65691 by jamesatzephyr

First of all, Oubliette doesn't inflict damage, it burns blood. So even if it happened during combat, it couldn't be prevented.

Secundly, you can't play combat cards after combat has ended.

To skip ahead to a reasonably common question...

How can I prevent damage from Catatonic Fear after combat has ended? Why doesn't it just say "unpreventable" if I can't prevent it?

You can, though it's hard. Burn a Leather Jacket, or use Surge counters. Possibly one or two other options, but those are the ones that I remember.

More
23 Sep 2014 07:24 - 23 Sep 2014 07:34 #65693 by Pascal Bertrand
Correct answer from Ankha [edit] and jamesatzephyr.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2014 07:34 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
24 Sep 2014 17:09 #65744 by Malcolm Sprye
Dodge also entirely avoids the effects of the opponents strike, and would dodge the catatonic fear/oubliette.

More
24 Sep 2014 18:07 #65746 by rezwits
I thought if I played glancing blow and then my opponent played Oubliette, both cards would have been played at that point.

And as far as I know Strike: Dodge can't avoid a Strike: Combat Ends (timing).

But as far as I am concerned my question is answered.

Glancing blow cannot stop Oubliette. And it also can't stop Catatonic Fear, using the CF's current errata text, but if you used the old card text it could.

Thanks

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds