file Oubliette VS Glancing Blow

24 Sep 2014 18:57 #65747 by jamesatzephyr

I thought if I played glancing blow and then my opponent played Oubliette, both cards would have been played at that point.

Even if Oubliette did damage (which it doesn't), you can't have played Glancing Blow first, then your opponent plays Oubliette. Glancing Blow immediately prevents damage, the same way Skin of Rock does. It's not like Apparition, setting up a later possible damage prevention effect. You have to have already taken the damage and be in the damage prevention step of damage resolution - which definitely hasn't happened prior to the opponent even choosing their strike.

And as far as I know Strike: Dodge can't avoid a Strike: Combat Ends (timing).

Incorrect. Strike: Dodge doesn't resolve, it just prevents the offensive parts of the opponent's strike, whatever speed that resolves at. If you prefer to think of Dodge as resolving, it's at least simultaneous with S:CE. Note that this was changed ten years ago: www.thelasombra.com/rules/RTR120204.txt
Dodge protects the dodger against all strikes, even aggressive S:CE effects
(like Catatonic Fear).

Glancing blow cannot stop Oubliette. And it also can't stop Catatonic Fear, using the CF's current errata text, but if you used the old card text it could.

Err, only sort of, kind of. CF's current card text has been the most recent printing (not errata) for 14 years now.

Everything done in addition to a S:CE effect (except untaps) happens after combat ends, which was handled in www.thelasombra.com/rules/RTR512.txt (RTR from 2002):

But the issue regarding Catatonic Fear (and some similar effects) was determined as far as back as the RTR in 1997, which was actually a ruling on how to handle all combat-ends+damage effects (e.g. Mariel) rather than specific errata.

[LSJ 19970701] , following up on the actual RTR (which didn't quite spell out the effect using very small words.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rezwits

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2014 04:10 - 27 Sep 2014 04:11 #65818 by rezwits
Dodge protects the dodger from the effects of the opposing minion's strike,
even if that strike is done at First Strike or even if it is a Combat Ends
strike (Combat Ends will still end combat, but any additional effects the
strike would have on the dodger, like Catatonic Fear's damage, are dodged).

Never knew... it's seems after playing from 1994-1995, then again in 2007 then in 2010, and now trying to get back even fiercer, these rules have been wilted down and micro managed so hard now, it's going to take even more work on a card per card basis, getting caught up with everything.

I try to read the google groups (rec.games.jyhad old newsgroup) when ever google search will pull up a result, but man so many out there...

Seams like every card has a ruling by now, all I can say is it's amazing and kinda sad. It's all good I suppose it's just makes it so much more work to just play, hah, when are card games now days not work...

I try to play the game by just reading the cards, but I just keep reading...

Thanks again. I am glad I have only had like 5-10 questions all these years tho hehe. (posted that is!) Tons googled!
Last edit: 27 Sep 2014 04:11 by rezwits. Reason: googled

More
27 Sep 2014 05:23 #65819 by Ankha

I try to play the game by just reading the cards, but I just keep reading...

Be careful to read the latest cardtext. And the latest (online) rulebook. 99% of the answers are in them.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
27 Sep 2014 07:42 #65820 by Lönkka
Yeah, re-reading the rulebook occasionally is useful.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds