file EC - List of calls to the judge

01 Sep 2015 22:05 #72872 by Pascal Bertrand
The goal here was to show people what the judge is usually called for :
- rather simple questions on cardtext / rules ("Do Anarch Revolts stack?")
- some tricky questions on rulings ("UHF vs Kiss of Ra")
- some "we forgot something, help us fix it"
- some "I'm unhappy with something, please make sure the game is going properly"
- quite a good share of "we need to freeze time because someone left for a minute"
- a big proportion of "what's the time? / it's getting loud in here / other policemaking stuff"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Juggernaut1981, SLave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2015 04:23 #72873 by thelonius reloaded
there was also a forced "coffee pause" on round 3 in day 2 lol

Lurking in the underground of Bologna, Italy

More
02 Sep 2015 05:01 #72874 by PetriWessman
Thanks, guys, this is very interesting. As a (sometime) tournament judge, this is a very good read. :)

More
02 Sep 2015 06:22 #72875 by Sérgio

The goal here was to show people what the judge is usually called for :
- rather simple questions on cardtext / rules ("Do Anarch Revolts stack?")
- some tricky questions on rulings ("UHF vs Kiss of Ra")
- some "we forgot something, help us fix it"
- some "I'm unhappy with something, please make sure the game is going properly"
- quite a good share of "we need to freeze time because someone left for a minute"
- a big proportion of "what's the time? / it's getting loud in here / other policemaking stuff"

I'm trying to not make this sound accusatory, as that's not at all how I mean it.
Should players hold back on simpler calls? While empirically, by observation, I can say that people in general should learn the rules better as to avoid making mistakes, some things should really be taken care of by the Judge, in a tournament of importance, no? The third point seems to be one such case.

I'd also say that if you want to freeze time because someone left, it'd probably be better to wait for the judge before leaving. Otherwise, just do it yourselves and tell the judge (of course, this has potential for abuse).

More
02 Sep 2015 06:27 #72876 by PetriWessman
Actually, I have a question wrt one of these:

"Can I play Govern the Unaligned if I have 1 blood and Seeds of Corruption?
Yes (cardtext + clarification)"

How does this work? Seeds of Corruptions says "he or she burns 1 additional blood when attempting an action" (or 2 or 3, the amount does not matter here).

So in this case, doesn't the Seeds first burn all the blood from the vampire, leaving it at zero, which would make the action automatically fizzle? What am I missing here?

More
02 Sep 2015 07:04 #72877 by jamesatzephyr

I'd also say that if you want to freeze time because someone left, it'd probably be better to wait for the judge before leaving. Otherwise, just do it yourselves and tell the judge (of course, this has potential for abuse).

Waiting for the judge isn't always practical. Consider the situation in which my mobile phone goes off, it's work calling, and I need to answer. 99% of the time, it's going to be vastly easier for me to answer the phone while quickly running somewhere quieter, while someone else on the table flags down the judge to alert him/her.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds