file TIE Breaker for finals

14 Dec 2015 18:21 #74634 by Randy
TIE Breaker for finals was created by Randy
Hello.
After several encounters with final splits where one ousted player was higher seed and won. We are several ppl in sweden that wonders why this is and not winner goes to the last player on the table.

AKA beeing last player VP wins you the game if it is a splitt.

We understand that in the case of a timeout tie high seed wins but not why it would take it in a game where there is a last player standing.

Prince of Lidingö

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2015 18:52 #74635 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic TIE Breaker for finals
The goal of the game is to have more VPs than the others, not staying alive.
Being first seed means you have scored more VPs during the preliminary rounds; as a reward you win the final in case of a tie.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, Lönkka

More
14 Dec 2015 21:12 #74638 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic TIE Breaker for finals

Being first seed means you have scored more VPs during the preliminary rounds; as a reward you win the final in case of a tie.

The goal of the game can be changed, if enough people think it´s stupid. Personally I think being first seed is strong enough as you get to choose seating late. Logically being ousted out of the Eternal Struggle should mean you cannot win the Eternal Struggle (at least unless there is a timeout). Please give us some strong argument for the rules not being changed!

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
14 Dec 2015 21:28 - 14 Dec 2015 21:29 #74639 by Ankha

The goal of the game can be changed, if enough people think it´s stupid. Personally I think being first seed is strong enough as you get to choose seating late. Logically being ousted out of the Eternal Struggle should mean you cannot win the Eternal Struggle (at least unless there is a timeout). Please give us some strong argument for the rules not being changed!

What is the strong argument for changing it ?

(people "thinking it's stupid" is not an argument. And "logically" doesn't apply if you're refering to lore when considering tournament rules).

Prince of Paris, France
Last edit: 14 Dec 2015 21:29 by Ankha.

More
14 Dec 2015 21:45 #74640 by Randy
Replied by Randy on topic TIE Breaker for finals
I think that one strong argument is that it is unintuitive that a player not in the game has a chance to win it.

Also that while in certain positions a high seed player who gets two points then gets ousted giving one point to its predator creates a potential loss position for a third player who now can freely choose to self oust if he or she wishes instead of fighting for a win.(AKA fighting for another players win). This situation is not cool. And in my opinion a player who has made it to the finals and is last person standing deservs the victory more than the player who "only" got two and then got ousted.

Prince of Lidingö

More
14 Dec 2015 21:55 #74641 by Ankha
I respect your opinion.

Personally, I think that a player who scores 3 vps and gets ousted in the duel still deserves to win the game, especially if that player exhausted all his resources and loses to a player who just waited until the others die.

If the first seed player manages to score 2 vps, then either the other players are to blame (you don't let the first seed player scores vps if you want to win, whatever position on the table he has), or the first seed was clearly superior and deserves to win.

In the situation you describe, the predator of the first seed still has a chance to get the GW so it was a bit of a gambit for the first seed player. The fact that the third player who apparently wasn't very effective (no vp at that time) has no chance of winning the tournament doesn't seem a problem to me.

Prince of Paris, France
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds