file TIE Breaker for finals

17 Dec 2015 10:13 #74748 by Louhi
Replied by Louhi on topic TIE Breaker for finals
The issue is, like Boris said, that you can have a situation where only ONE of the players in the duel is fighting for the win. Since B can't win he or she might as well just fold and go for a beer despite the results still being up in the air.
I do agree with the counterpoint that promoting wall decks is unhealthy for the finals though.

Lidingö Scourge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2015 11:13 #74749 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic TIE Breaker for finals
I would agree if that situation occured from the start. But I don't see an issue if the situation occurs after three players have been ousted (the same way that you can't win anymore after a player has collected 3 vp).
Players should wake up before such a situation arises and do things to prevent it. It shouldn't be prevented by tournament rules.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
17 Dec 2015 13:46 #74752 by Boris The Blade

I dont understand the problem. If the top seated player has 2 VP, and no other player can gain 2,5 VP or more the game is over. All players have an already determined finishing spot, e.g. Top Seat wins, all other non-winning finalists tie for second place. Stop the game and drink beer.

Player C can still get a GW 3. C is the player who enters the duel with 1VP. That is the problem: C's game is not over, but he has no one else to play against.

I would agree if that situation occured from the start. But I don't see an issue if the situation occurs after three players have been ousted (the same way that you can't win anymore after a player has collected 3 vp).
Players should wake up before such a situation arises and do things to prevent it. It shouldn't be prevented by tournament rules.

Again the problem is not judging who deserves to win or not, or a simple mechanical one: how does B play the duel? A simple coin toss is probably more robust than any deterministic measure to break ties.

More
17 Dec 2015 13:53 #74753 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic TIE Breaker for finals

Again the problem is not judging who deserves to win or not, or a simple mechanical one: how does B play the duel? A simple coin toss is probably more robust than any deterministic measure to break ties.

The player that has no way of winning can play like he likes. It's too late for him anyway. If he wants to give the victory to the other remaining player, he can.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
17 Dec 2015 15:32 #74754 by M.Schumacher
Replied by M.Schumacher on topic TIE Breaker for finals

Player C can still get a GW 3. C is the player who enters the duel with 1VP. That is the problem: C's game is not over, but he has no one else to play against.

This is a primary concern for the Player who is top seated with 2VP, not for the player that has already lost the final. If you are top seated, gain 2 VP and get ousted and then allow a Player who can potentially win the game play 1 on 1 against a player who has nothing to win or loose then you are putting your success in the finals in the hands of a player with no motivation to play to win.
You should have played that table differently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds