question-circle Stutter-step question

13 Sep 2018 22:08 - 13 Sep 2018 22:14 #90612 by Bloodartist
Replied by Bloodartist on topic Stutter-step question

If that’s the case, does this ever have any practical significance?
Are there SCE+other effects out there?
I know there’s a “HS, then end after resolving”-strike too, but I’m assuming that just ends combat after the HS is dodged.

You can also avoid the harmful effects of opponents S:CE with a dodge. This is a special rule and not related to "priority" as such. So you can dodge the damage from catatonic fear, even though it is inflicted after combat ends.

As to the stutter-step:
If player A plays dodge+additional strike, and player B plays stutter step, what happens is that stutter-step does no damage as both parts of its strike are dodged at the same time (right?). Stutter-step counts as one strike. Then player A's additional strike will deal damage, since stutter-step only dodges player A's initial strike, which was a dodge.

(confusing yet? I've been telling people VTES combat is too complex. :P )

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 13 Sep 2018 22:14 by Bloodartist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2018 22:24 #90613 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Stutter-step question

You can also avoid the harmful effects of opponents S:CE with a dodge. This is a special rule and not related to "priority" as such. So you can dodge the damage from catatonic fear, even though it is inflicted after combat ends.

This isn't a special rule. Having selected Dodge as your strike protects you from the 'offensive'(*) effects of a strike, whatever those might be. It might be damage from a hand strike, it might being sent to torpor with first strike, or it might be suffering damage from a strike after combat. Dodge potentially protects against all three, there's nothing special going on.

(*) People don't usually think of inferior Meld with the Land (S:CE + untap the opponent) as being offensive. But a Dodge will mean you don't untap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds