question-circle Call the Wild Hunt at superior

25 May 2021 12:03 #102311 by inm8
Replied by inm8 on topic Call the Wild Hunt at superior

Well for one, I guess if the damage is resolved together with strike damage, then on question 1. you have to mend the CtWH damage before you handle aggravated damage.

You are correct, regular damage is handled first and aggravated damage second...i had it in the reverse order in my head for some reason...

If it can be played before the strikes resolves, it surely cannot be played before a strike: combat ends resolves (rulebook: those resolves before any effect). But at the same time, if it is to be used after the strikes resolve, then the damage cannot be "grouped" with the strike damage and you would need two prevention cards. So... when can it be used exactly?

It´s to be played during strike resolution, not before nor after.

I think I understand your concern but I don't think the damage should be handled differently than the damage from a carrion crow or a wolf companion.

Agree

There is still the question about the possibility to discard cards after a combat end is played. (I would rule that yes you can but for no damage)

Agree

From the rulebook, the combat ends resolves first, and that brings you out of strike resolution immediately, so I think you cannot use the effect anymore.

During strike resolution is when CE is resolved first and when it will interrupt the combat sequence and go to end of round so the cards saying to trigger something during strike resolution just by text should be playable even if for no effect.

If A is the acting minion, I would rule that beginning the "strike resolution windows" A has the opportunity to use an effect playable in this window.

Shouldn't matter who is acting as the strike resolution is supposed to happen simultaneous as per the rulebook...both should be able to trigger the effect regardless...who is acting should only affect who is to trigger effects in the "during strike resolution" window first.

The effects of the strikes from both minions are resolved simultaneously.

The below does align it to how a Carrion Crows is resolved and uses the same wording so based on that i would say that if CE is played it is clear that no damage from CtWH needs to be resolved but doesn't answer whether the effect can be triggered and animal cards be discarded for no damage inflicted or not...i assume "there is no normal strike resolution" refers to the damage resolution part of the strike resolution.

EDITH : for reference, I found a ruling from Ankha which seems to say that "normal strike resolution" just does not exist in case of S:CE. I am in doubt !

( www.vekn.net/forum/rules-questions/78582-thoughts-betrayed-interaction-with-different-striking-situation#99680 )

Awaiting the ruling of the playability of effects that are triggered during strike resolution when a CE is played

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2021 13:53 #102312 by beslin igor

When can the Call the Wild Hunt superior effect be used in a combat?

1. Can it be used before the strikes resolve?
Scenario: A is in combat with B. A plays CtWH, no maneuvers, strikes 1 aggravated. B chooses hand strike. Can A discard a Raven before B goes to torpor to inflict 1 more damage?

2. Does the damage resolve together with the strikes damages? Or when the effect is used?
Scenario: A is in combat with B. A plays CtWH, no maneuvers, strikes 1 from hand strike. B chooses hand strike. A discards a Raven to inflict 1 more damage, can B use a single Soak to prevent both damages? If yes, could A have waited after strike damage resolution to use CtWH effect to add one damage?

Call the Wild Hunt

Soak

1. so how 1. need to work: both declare strikes,then A decide to discard raven. If there no combat ends played,both players can chose will they prevent damage or not (so prevent window). after prevent impulse pass, both A and B take damage what they dont prevent.

2. B can prevent with 1 soak,but A cant wait,because damage must be anounce before prevent step.

More
25 May 2021 17:04 - 25 May 2021 17:05 #102315 by lip
Replied by lip on topic Call the Wild Hunt at superior

The below does align it to how a Carrion Crows is resolved and uses the same wording so based on that i would say that if CE is played it is clear that no damage from CtWH needs to be resolved but doesn't answer whether the effect can be triggered and animal cards be discarded for no damage inflicted or not...i assume "there is no normal strike resolution" refers to the damage resolution part of the strike resolution.EDITH : for reference, I found a ruling from Ankha which seems to say that "normal strike resolution" just does not exist in case of S:CE. I am in doubt !

(   www.vekn.net/forum/rules-questions/78582-thoughts-betrayed-interaction-with-different-striking-situation#99680  )Awaiting the ruling of the playability of effects that are triggered during strike resolution when a CE is played

I don't think we need a ruling, it's right there in the rulebook. The mentioned ruling predates the V5 rulebook, and I find the rulebook pretty clear on that (emphasis mine):

Combat Ends: This effect ends combat immediately. This type of strike is always the first to resolve, even before a strike done with first strike (see First Strike), and it ends combat before other strikes or other strike resolution effects are resolved.

So in my opinion there is no question that when a Strike: Combat Ends is used, the CtWH effect cannot be used: you cannot discard a retainer.
Last edit: 25 May 2021 17:05 by lip.

More
25 May 2021 17:11 #102316 by lip
Replied by lip on topic Call the Wild Hunt at superior
I have to agree with both Timo and Igor on the meaning of "During strike resolution". It has to mean it must be used before the damage prevention step, since that one happens after strike resolution.

So, to sum it up, I'd say it has to come down to:
1. It must be used during strike resolution, before damage is mended. If a Strike: Combat Ends has been used, it resolves first, so you cannot use the CtWH effect (cannot discard a retainer).
2. The damage is handled in the same window as the strike damage. A single Soak can prevent both the strike and CtWH damage. You cannot use CtWH effect once the strike damage has been inflicted.

More
26 May 2021 05:43 - 26 May 2021 05:45 #102320 by inm8
Replied by inm8 on topic Call the Wild Hunt at superior

I don't think we need a ruling, it's right there in the rulebook. The mentioned ruling predates the V5 rulebook, and I find the rulebook pretty clear on that (emphasis mine):

Combat Ends: This effect ends combat immediately. This type of strike is always the first to resolve, even before a strike done with first strike (see First Strike), and it ends combat before other strikes or other strike resolution effects are resolved.

So in my opinion there is no question that when a Strike: Combat Ends is used, the CtWH effect cannot be used: you cannot discard a retainer.

You are probably right but the rulebook talks about resolving the effect and the question at hand is about the ability of triggering an effect in the time window of "during strike resolution". In my point of view the resolution of strikes (CE actually ending combat and taking the process to the final step "end of round" skipping all others steps in-between) and the triggering of effects "during the strike resolution phase" is in the same time window and thereby logically it makes sense that all effects that are to be triggered needs to be done before the actual resolution of those effects regardless of what they are, furthermore if it was to cause damage there is only one pass through the damage resolution step which logically would make it more sensible that all triggering of effects should happen before any actual resolution of effects which has a priority to follow of what resolves first (1st CE, 2nd Dodge, 3rd First strike and 4th Regular strikes)....doesn't make sense that CE would resolve differently (in a kind of pre step before triggering of effects) than all other strikes and effects creating an exception.
Last edit: 26 May 2021 05:45 by inm8. Reason: Spelling error

More
26 May 2021 08:05 - 26 May 2021 08:15 #102322 by Ankha

When can the Call the Wild Hunt superior effect be used in a combat?

1. Can it be used before the strikes resolve?
Scenario: A is in combat with B. A plays CtWH, no maneuvers, strikes 1 aggravated. B chooses hand strike. Can A discard a Raven before B goes to torpor to inflict 1 more damage?

To be clear, in any case the card is played before range is determined and allows to do something later on during combat, "during the strike resolution".
"during the strike resolution" is the same as "during the normal strike resolution".

So, in your scenario, once both strikes have been chosen, they resolve. A can discard a Raven to have 1 environmental damage be inflicted on B.
So A takes B's damage, and B takes 1 damage (from CtWH) plus 1 aggravated damage (from A's strike). Then we proceed to the prevention step.

2. Does the damage resolve together with the strikes damages? Or when the effect is used?

Those are the same: the effect is used during strike resolution, so it adds up to whatever damage are being inflicted.
It works the same as the damage of a Carrion Crows for instance.

Scenario: A is in combat with B. A plays CtWH, no maneuvers, strikes 1 from hand strike. B chooses hand strike. A discards a Raven to inflict 1 more damage, can B use a single Soak to prevent both damages?

Yes, since B takes both damage during the strike resolution.

If yes, could A have waited after strike damage resolution to use CtWH effect to add one damage?

No: cardtext "during strike resolution".

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 26 May 2021 08:15 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beslin igor, lip

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds