file Bounce Cards and "Declining to Block"

18 May 2022 08:47 #105275 by FineLerv
I have a question regarding Bleed Bounce cards such as Deflection and Telepathic Misdirection, which are "Only usable when a minion is bleeding you, after blocks are declined".

Does "Declining to Block" mean that you haven't tried to block with anything? Or does it still count as "Declining to Block" if you attempt to block but your minion gets out-stealthed?

Sorry for the basic question. I thought I understood these cards but after watching some games on YouTube, I'm not so sure anymore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2022 09:13 - 18 May 2022 14:20 #105276 by inm8

I have a question regarding Bleed Bounce cards such as Deflection and Telepathic Misdirection, which are "Only usable when a minion is bleeding you, after blocks are declined".

Does "Declining to Block" mean that you haven't tried to block with anything? Or does it still count as "Declining to Block" if you attempt to block but your minion gets out-stealthed?

The latter is correct, you may attempt to block and later if failing to do so you can make the decision to "decline to block" which is final and applies to all your minions, alternatively try to block with a different minion.

If you decline to block to be able to play for ex. Deflection and it gets canceled by Direct Intervention you will not be able to attempt to block again nor play a new Deflection (with the same minion), the only alternatives would be to either take the bleed, play Deflection with a different minion or play a different bounce card than Deflection (e.g. Telepathic Misdirection) with the same or different minion.

Be conscious that if you attempt to block and don´t have enough intercept and hope another methuselah will help you for ex. by playing inferior Babble you can´t "decline to block"

Deflection

Telepathic Misdirection

Babble

Direct Intervention
Last edit: 18 May 2022 14:20 by inm8. Reason: Update clarifying the limitation of reaction is per action per minion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
18 May 2022 11:48 #105278 by skimflux

If you decline to block to be able to play for ex. Deflection and it gets canceled by Direct Intervention you will not be able to attempt to block again nor play a new Deflection, the only alternatives would be to either take the bleed or play a different bounce card than Deflection (e.g. Telepathic Misdirection).

Clarification (because it can be misunderstood by new players): you can play another Deflection if the first one is cancelled (or the bleed is bounced back), just not with the same vampire - if you have another unlocked or awake vampire they can still bounce with a second Deflection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inm8, FineLerv

More
18 May 2022 13:30 #105279 by inm8
Good point, I made an update to my answer to reflect the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FineLerv

More
19 May 2022 13:10 #105287 by FineLerv
Thank you both very kindly. This helps immensely. Apologies for the amateur formatting; I still haven't quite figured out how to use quotes and so on.

As a follow up regarding the Babble part of the answer, does that mean you can't play Deflection with a vampire that has attempted to block but failed?

More
19 May 2022 14:56 - 19 May 2022 14:58 #105288 by Ankha

Thank you both very kindly. This helps immensely. Apologies for the amateur formatting; I still haven't quite figured out how to use quotes and so on.

As a follow up regarding the Babble part of the answer, does that mean you can't play Deflection with a vampire that has attempted to block but failed?

You can.
What inm8 meant is that if you have a minion B attempting to block acting minion A, you're not done with the block attempt while other players have effects to use. C could therefore take advantage of that to make B block even though you'd rather not. But it's a very corner-case scenario that is slightly off-topic. Most of the time, the block fails and you can then play Deflection by declining to block with all your minions.

(Detailed sequence:
  • A performs bleeds at 0 stealth.
  • B attempts to block.
  • A increases stealth. (-- At that point, B would like to give up and play Deflection but... --)
  • C provides B with intercept using Babble. Usually only the blocking minion's controller can increase their intercept, but a few cards can be used to provide other Methuselahs' minion with intercept.
  • A doesn't increase stealth and is blocked by B.)

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 19 May 2022 14:58 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FineLerv

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds