file Reactions and action modifiers timing

23 Aug 2022 05:50 #106082 by inm8
An action exists until it ends. There is a timing window between "action resolution" and "action end" that the cards which are "only playable after resolution" uses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2022 08:02 #106092 by lip
Yes, first it resolves, then it ends. It's not illogical to me that stuff can happen in between.

More
23 Aug 2022 08:11 #106095 by Bloodartist

Yes, first it resolves, then it ends. It's not illogical to me that stuff can happen in between.

It is to me. Stuff has ended after it has resolved. Otherwise there is still something left to resolve.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

More
23 Aug 2022 09:01 #106098 by lip
I see where you're coming from, but for me resolving the effects of an action does not necessarily means it is ended. Especially if there are other effects (not from the action itself) yet to be resolved themselves. After all, the course of the action is larger than just its resolution (no-one argues the action starts before its resolution, to me symmetry here at then end of it feels natural: it ends after its resolution. If there's space before, why not space after).

Anyway, this sounds like a vocabulary/cognition/personal internal imaging issue, so I'm not sure it makes sense to argue about it - different people, different perceptions of abstract concepts.

More
23 Aug 2022 19:22 - 23 Aug 2022 19:23 #106113 by Bloodartist
Note that I have always been against using phrases such as "before X" or "after X" in cardtext. Things should happen at exact moment X and not before or after which is vague.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 23 Aug 2022 19:23 by Bloodartist.

More
24 Aug 2022 08:33 - 24 Aug 2022 08:46 #106116 by Ankha

Note that I have always been against using phrases such as "before X" or "after X" in cardtext. Things should happen at exact moment X and not before or after which is vague.

"before" and "after" are defining that exact moment. They are not vague as they indicate the exact moment compared to X.

There are three cases:
1) two effects should happen at the same time, in which case you have to order them
2) effect A should happen before effect B
3) effect A should happen after effect B

Case 1) the effects Vessel and Anarch Revolt have the same timing window "during your unlock phase". So you can order them.

Case 2) When a minion is blocked, there is normally a combat. But some cards have effects that happen before (for instance, Change of Target or Power of One)

Case 3) and some cards have effects that happen after (Cats' Guidance).

In cases 2 and 3, "when X is blocked" would be ambiguous because you wouldn't know if the effects happens before or after. So your "exact moment X" is defined using before/after.

Cards

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 24 Aug 2022 08:46 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds