file Creating and Printing Existing Cards (Like the VEKN Expansions)

30 Mar 2016 13:38 #76121 by MattBreland
Howdy Team!

Longtime lurker, firstime poster. I'm part of a small group of players that haven't gone to any tournaments and so on yet, we're just hanging around and playing for fun. For the VEKN expansions, I know that the "official" way to use them in tournaments is to print them out on thin paper and put in card sleeves with a regular VTES card. However, I just want to create some cards that we can shuffle into our decks and not have to deal with card sleeves for our friendly matches. Maybe I'm a stickler, but I just like the feel of card instead of the feeling of plastic sleeves.

From what I've seen on this forum, there are ways to do this but I wasn't able to see any specifics. The three main ways I can create cards:

1. Print the cards onto adhesive paper and stick/glue them onto existing VTES cards.
I'm perfectly fine with this, but I wonder how effective it would be. I would imagine I would still need to keep it in card sleeves, otherwise the adhesive will fall off during shuffling. However, if anyone can recommend some really thin, durable paper that can stick to the card and won't fall apart during play, I would love to hear it!

2. Order a "Print on Demand" service to do it for me
This seems like the best option, and from my searching on this forum people recommend certain sites. However, I'm not entirely sure what to order of from who. What print settings best match VTES cards? Two ply? what are the correct dimensions? 12 pt, 14 pt, or 16 pt? Etc. Obviously, I can't expect a perfect match, but I want to avoid the expense of trial and error and hear from anyone who has already done it ;) .

3. My own printing setup
This one has a high up-front cost, but it might be worth it in the long run. Being able to create shiny new VTES cards, and maybe even cards from other games that are hard to get, is an alluring prospect. This one has similar questions to #2, with the added question of how does one go about getting a good card printer? I doubt anyone has already done this, but if you have and have some advice I'd love to hear it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2016 14:19 #76122 by Brum
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Eternal Night,

We want the game to go forever.
And to be able to do that, VEKN can use the Intellectual Properties of private companies like White Wolf and Wizards of the Coast, under specific conditions.
VEKN cannot do, endorse or help anything that can void that use of those companie's IPs.

All of this said, I find odd how people don't prefer sleeved cards to shuffle and play with.
If you have expensive cards, you want to protect your investment. If you have cheap cards you want to protect those too, because there aren't any reprints for those any time soon.

I hope that soon you'll feel like attending tournament and meeting other players.
It is really a great community and by attending you help to keep the game going.
If you already use the cards properly sleeved, transitioning to official events is much easier.

Keep the posts comin'.
Cheers!
Brum
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

More
30 Mar 2016 21:47 #76126 by Ashur
Hi Matt! Yes, what Brum writes is true. The reason that VEKN will not sanction any "non-professional" printing of cards is that we hope for some company to pick up the game license and print the game again. I really hope this is in the works.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
30 Mar 2016 22:51 #76128 by MattBreland
Good point! I suppose I might as well start getting used to card sleeves now.

Here's hoping someone does pick up the game for printing again :D

More
01 Apr 2016 04:05 #76165 by Juggernaut1981

All of this said, I find odd how people don't prefer sleeved cards to shuffle and play with.
If you have expensive cards, you want to protect your investment. If you have cheap cards you want to protect those too, because there aren't any reprints for those any time soon.

Not sure I view them as an investment, and certainly don't get too hung up on the sunk cost. Sure I don't want a whole box of cards urinated on by a cat (as has happened to some of my players in the past)... but I can understand why some people like playing with the feel of the cardboard. I can't stand plastic playing cards (i.e. traditional playing cards) that commonly come in Poker packs. It really really bothers me to play with them.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
03 Apr 2016 04:05 - 03 Apr 2016 04:09 #76215 by MattBreland
So I've started looking at printing options so I can start getting the VEKN expansions into my sleeves. Since I want multiple copies of each card, I could run to Fedex and pay the piper. Still, I figure it will probably be the same price just to straight up buy a printer and I've been needing to get one for a while anyway, but I'm not sure what can handle the job.

I was using my friend's, and the colors started going psychedelic and wacky after the first page. Can anyone recommend the minimum printer that can handle the job?
Last edit: 03 Apr 2016 04:09 by MattBreland.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds