file Played some VTES with Paradox

03 Feb 2016 16:37 #75329 by drstrange26
I just wanted to comment on a side note that the Deckmaster trademark is abandoned. Wizards of the Coast has no residual rights to that trademark.

The petition to revive this trademark was denied by the Trademark office on Apr. 25 1995.

Just a bit of humor here, if Deckmaster trademark is used for the online reproduction of VTES playing cards that the VEKN could petition to revive the trademark and become current owner. They could then in turn sue, Wizards of the Coast, for using the Deckmaster trademark on the back of Magic: the Gathering.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2016 22:48 #75337 by Lönkka
LOL

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
05 Feb 2016 07:09 #75339 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Played some VTES with Paradox

Just a bit of humor here, if Deckmaster trademark is used for the online reproduction of VTES playing cards that the VEKN could petition to revive the trademark and become current owner. They could then in turn sue, Wizards of the Coast, for using the Deckmaster trademark on the back of Magic: the Gathering.

Do it! And thanks for the info.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
05 Feb 2016 07:15 #75340 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Played some VTES with Paradox

I know this may appear obvious but it is full confirmation that the first step of getting VTES published has to legally go through Paradox.

Yes, this we know. What has been discussed is the concern for a new licencee being sued by WotC because of they (maybe) still own rights to some details of the game.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
09 Feb 2016 06:41 #75374 by prestonp
I've written a screenplay taking place in the WoD. Any idea who I might talk to about it over there or what their interest would be in licensing it?i I figure it's a win/win since it draws attention to their product.

More
09 Feb 2016 10:41 #75377 by jamesatzephyr

I've written a screenplay taking place in the WoD. Any idea who I might talk to about it over there or what their interest would be in licensing it?i I figure it's a win/win since it draws attention to their product.

Negotiations like that aren't simply never instant win-wins. For example:
  • your screenplay might be utterly, totally, and completely dreadful, and tarnish the reputation of their product
  • someone else comes along later and asks for an exclusive right to produce TV shows/films/webisodes (whatever) set in the Paradox WoD, but unfortunately they've already given you this license, making everything much more complicated
  • they have a strong brand vision and would want to oversee exactly how you're interpreting certain aspects of the settings/characters/clans/tribes etc., and exercise control over a) your script and b) the finished thing since lots of stuff often changes between the script and the finished show)
  • ...or on the flip-side, they're willing to let you do quite a lot, so long as they can use your ideas in their games, such as - say - turning your leading character(s) into a regular character in books, computer games etc., and you might not want to do that for free
  • they want to extract a significant amount of money from you (up-front payments, royalties, whatever) - significant doesn't have to mean millions, it just has to mean "pretty big, in relation to your budget". They could, after all, be trying to sell the licensing rights to HBO or Netflix (or, you know, whoever).

And so on.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds