file On Parity Shift 6. "problematic card".

21 Nov 2011 22:25 - 21 Nov 2011 22:26 #15371 by KevinM

CON

Parity Shift is and always has been an incredibly overpowered card. A 10 pool swing (your prey loses 5, you gain 5) for what involves incredibly minimal set up effort ("Hmm. How do I get low on pool? I know! I'll bring out more powerful, huge vampires!") is ridiculous. And always has been.

Along with it being insanely overpowered, it also is one of the cards that makes playing, well, most vote decks that aren't Camarilla/Parity Shift based completely pointless. 90% of all attempts to build vote decks end at the "Huh. But why aren't I using Camarilla and Parity Shifts to do this?"

Yes. It requires a Prince/Justicar. Yes. It requires you to have less pool than your prey/target. Both of these conditions are incredibly minor conditions; Princes/Justicars are easy to get into play. Having less pool than your prey is easy to do either through shenanagins (Secret Horde; Gird Minions; Assault Rifles; whatever) or simply by getting big vampires out. Heck, if you have more pool than your prey, just steal 5 pool from someone else!

Parity Shift was a horrible idea when it was printed. It is a horrible idea now. It is insanely overpowered. It makes an entire strategy branch neutered before it even starts if the attempt to start it involves using something other than Parity Shift. If Parity Shift didn't exist, *soooo* many other vote strategies would look so much more attractive and competitive.

Killing it seems completely reasonable to me. It is one of the three cards I'm most invested in seeing something happen to (none of which are Villein, which while I'd like to see get a tweak, is less of a problem for the game as a whole than Parity Shift is, for my money). If it isn't going to get killed outright, reducing its power would be completely reasonable--make it steal X pool, where X is the number of players in the game, where X is no more than 3. Then it is doing the same damage as a KRC to one person, and you get an extra bonus of gaining 3 pool for the extra costs. Still incredibly powerful, but significantly less so.

This analysis is the best that I've seen, and one of the things that Bakija and I agree on *exactly*.

Really, the only possible non-ban fix that could ever be implemented to Parity Shift would be "One Per Methuselah". If you're going to leave the card on the playable list, nothing else is a reasonable fix, given how ridiculously powerful the card is.

Note that even one per deck is still pretty strong, but it's within the power level of other cards like Govern, Conditioning, Banishment, etc etc, so it makes sense to make it OPM.

(At the risk of being yelled at, OPM is the proper fix for Pentex Subversion and Direct Intervention, too.)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
Last edit: 21 Nov 2011 22:26 by KevinM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bakija

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2011 22:54 #15379 by bakija

(At the risk of being yelled at, OPM is the proper fix for Pentex Subversion and Direct Intervention, too.)

(I'll point out that the three cards that I think need to be fixed more than any others are Parity Shift, Pentex Subversion, and Direct Intervention. As they are both overpowered *and* negatively affect the game environment in ways that aren't specifically the result of just being too powerful--Parity Shift makes too many other deck strategies pointless; Pentex makes too many other deck strategies pointless; DI makes the game too much of a crap shoot as anyone at the table can foil your oust lunge at any time. Villein is too powerful, but mostly it just means you need to play Villein instead of Minion Tap.)

More
21 Nov 2011 23:46 #15385 by Dorrinal
Agree with bakija; personally I would fix X at 2 or 3 and leave the card playable.

:trem:

More
22 Nov 2011 01:26 #15392 by KevinM

Agree with bakija; personally I would fix X at 2 or 3 and leave the card playable.

The reason that I don't like that solution is that it's too difficult to explain to players who are unaware of the card change.

"[Card name] is 'once-per-methuselah' now" is simple, direct, and everyone knows what it means instantly, with no discussion required.

You could make those three cards I spoke of "once per game" and that'd likely be fine, too.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
22 Nov 2011 06:24 #15402 by Ankha

CON
Along with it being insanely overpowered, it also is one of the cards that makes playing, well, most vote decks that aren't Camarilla/Parity Shift based completely pointless. 90% of all attempts to build vote decks end at the "Huh. But why aren't I using Camarilla and Parity Shifts to do this?"

Any proof of this?

During the EC, I've seen more Sabbat vote decks than Camarilla, which proves that non-Camarilla vote decks are perfectly functional. (See also R2 of my report where Jeff nearly won the game against a IC + Maris Lutz decks, only to die to a Tzimisce big cap deck).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
22 Nov 2011 07:25 #15407 by Lönkka

... although I think the Sabbat should get a similar card.

Really?
Like all animals need to be equal?
Sabbat has gazillion cards available for the, and even more if you count Black Hand. Should Camarilla have their own versions of these?

Why not make PS for independents and Laibons while we're at it?

Sheeesh!

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, Kraus

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds