file On Parity Shift 6. "problematic card".

22 Nov 2011 17:20 #15507 by KevinM

How many Sabbat based vote decks are in the TWDA? How many with Parity Shift?

Given that Bakija has been a proponent of the "TDWA-proof doesn't tell you much, really" theory, I find this a bit ironic. :)

I think Bakija's core complaint is correct, though, that Parity Shift's swing is just too great.

Look at the staple vote card -- KRC. 3 + 1, max swing of 3, 1 more here and there depending on other card text. It's the 'Govern' of the political cards -- 3 damage. Parity Shift can either have a swing of 10, 8, 6, or 4. So *in every case* it is better than KRC, if you can play it. (yes yes, You have to have fewer pool, I know, I know. If you're a good player, that's a meaningless qualifier.)

Parity Shift *might* be fixable if the pool were forced to be split between two or more Methuselahs. It *might* be fixable if X=2 or X=3. It *might* be fixable if you could play no stealth cards with it. It *might* be fixable if it cost pool. But I just say make it "Once per Methuselah/game" and be done with the damn thing, so we can move on to making Direct Intervention and Pentex Subversion OPM/G. :)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2011 19:57 - 22 Nov 2011 19:58 #15548 by bakija

Given that Bakija has been a proponent of the "TDWA-proof doesn't tell you much, really" theory, I find this a bit ironic. :)

Oh, don't worry--the Irony isn't lost on me. I'd never claim that things being in the TWDA are proof of anything. But they are certainly indicators. I did a quick perusal of the TWDA and found that, like, ~20% of the decks in 2011 included Parity Shift in them (about 40 out of 200 some odd decks). Which is an awful lot. I have no idea what would be a good way to check for decks that are vote decks and don't have Parity Shift in them.

Parity Shift *might* be fixable if the pool were forced to be split between two or more Methuselahs. It *might* be fixable if X=2 or X=3. It *might* be fixable if you could play no stealth cards with it. It *might* be fixable if it cost pool. But I just say make it "Once per Methuselah/game" and be done with the damn thing, so we can move on to making Direct Intervention and Pentex Subversion OPM/G. :)

That seems totally reasonable to me.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2011 19:58 by bakija.

More
22 Nov 2011 20:06 #15551 by Mael

Oh, don't worry--the Irony isn't lost on me. I'd never claim that things being in the TWDA are proof of anything. But they are certainly indicators. I did a quick perusal of the TWDA and found that, like, ~20% of the decks in 2011 included Parity Shift in them (about 40 out of 200 some odd decks). Which is an awful lot. I have no idea what would be a good way to check for decks that are vote decks and don't have Parity Shift in them.

I did a quick check earlier. There are 76 decks this year with political actions listed, 36 of those included Parity Shift (for comparison 46 included KRC, 41 included Banishment, only 4 included Reckless Agitation).
Not all of those were vote decks as such. At least one deck contained a single PS and no other vote cards.

More
22 Nov 2011 20:12 #15552 by henrik

Check how many bleed decks has stealth cards in them.

More
22 Nov 2011 20:43 #15556 by bakija

Uh, yeah, I'll get right on that. What does this have to do with what?

More
22 Nov 2011 20:45 #15557 by henrik

Uh, yeah, I'll get right on that. What does this have to do with what?

It just struck me that stealth might be a "problematic effect", if so it should probably have a thread and/or poll.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds