file Limit master cards?

22 May 2012 08:16 #30931 by Myrdin
Replied by Myrdin on topic Re: Limit master cards?

IMHO, combat deck is the worse deck to include Ashur Tablets in. It screws your card flow.

I beg to disagree, looking at rushdecks that have won tournaments since Oct 1 2011 (sample taken from twda from decks with >3 rush actions or with permanent rushes):
Anson Guns with ashur 6
Shalmath rush with Ashur 1
Howler rush with Ashur 1
Nana Buruku weenie Ani with Ashur 3
Nana Nangila rush Wish Ashur 2
Girls will find aids (ashur) 1
----
total 16

Ally rush 2
Gerald freakshow 1
(Deep Earth 1)
Ani-Aus rush 1
AUS FOR NEC ANI 1
Hermanas 1
Eurobrujah 1
AAA-Alastor 1
Lucian, the perfect rush 1
----
total 10

Out of the 10 without Ashur Deep earth is not a dedicated rush deck since it uses deep son to tap minions and the Hermanas deck was commented in the twd forum that it ran out of cards fairly often which kind of confirms my suspicions that rush decks have a hard time to consistently win tables without Ashur tablets to help distill and recycle the deck.

Ivan - Prince of Stockholm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2012 08:54 - 22 May 2012 08:59 #30938 by Boris The Blade

My main problem though is how combat is becoming less and less valid without an Ashur package, that worries me.

Combat decks without Ashur Tablets are exactly the same now as they were before. If they suck now, they already sucked before. Ashur Tablets did not make comabt without it weaker, it made combat as a whole stronger. It is exactly what the card was designed for and combat badly needed it.

The problems are more that:
1) Ashur are hard to get.
2) They make Anson and Nana too strong.
3) (Corollary of 2) It is almost impossible to play casual Ashur Tablets because you will eventually meet an Anson/Nana that will beat you to the Ashur race.

3) is the most problematic for me because it takes the card away from its intended purpose. I don't like the OP proposal, though: VTES should remain without card limits. Someone else proposed a very simple rule fix: a methuselah can never get more than 2 MPAs per turn. The wording might need to be polished not to allow a Wash + 2 MPAs, but you get the idea.
Last edit: 22 May 2012 08:59 by Boris The Blade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agamemnon

More
22 May 2012 09:24 #30945 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Limit master cards?

Ashur Tablets did not make comabt without it weaker, it made combat as a whole stronger. It is exactly what the card was designed for

Is that so? Source on this statement thanks.

If Ashur Tablets was designed to make combat stronger, it is a design mistake that is both major and weird.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
22 May 2012 09:27 #30946 by jamesatzephyr

What about limiting master cards in decks? 20 % maybe?

It's quite possible for a deck to have a disproportionate number of master cards without being one of the decks you don't like.

For example, there are a number of decks using discipline masters for created weenies that aren't stacking AAA type tech (Anson, Parthenon, Rumors, Huitz, or whatever else), and where it would seem harsh to force those decks to change.

Similarly, there are a few using quite high numbers of Aye or Orun. The TWDA entry from Matt Wedge (September 4, 2010) ends up with 25 masters out of 90, 14 Aye, which is heading for 30%. (It's 27.7...%) From, Matthew Strehlow (June 27, 2010), it's 27 out of 80, of which 12 are Aye.

I think it would be more useful to determine where the crunch point is. Is it just lots of masters? Is it recursion? If so, is it selective recursion directly to your hand (Anthelios) or to your library generally (Ashur)? Could we tweak those - a rules change, errata, or a new card that interacts with them?

Is it that the tech to thwart such decks might exist, but exists in the 'wrong' place? For example, maybe taking out the key vampires is important - but is most of that at a minion card level which could easily be DI-ed (Banishment, rush, Seeds of Corruption...)? Would a master or event be better? Just looking at some recent heavy-master decks, they don't tend to have Sudden or Wash (but do tend to be packing DI). Perhaps there's a Pentex-like master that could be formulated to take a vampire's special out, amongst other things. Is Secure Haven (which is played quite a bit in such decks) too hard to remove?

Is the problem that the tech to thwart such decks does exist, but isn't useful except against those decks?

Is the problem that people are hitting the wrong place in the deck? Aargh, the masters are overpowering me, and I can't Sudden them all. But perhaps my time would be better spent Arson-ing (or Disputing) the Parthenon - should many more decks include 3-4 location screwers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ohlmann

More
22 May 2012 10:12 #30947 by vtesocrates
Replied by vtesocrates on topic Re: Limit master cards?
Defeat master decks. I agree that Sudden doesn't get the job done, though if everybody played more Sudden a master deck could find itself suddened multiple times per turn and then it starts to hurt. But of course you can't count on other players to help you oust your prey.

You have really two routes to go then. You either have to remove the source of extra master phase actions or you have to have sufficient payload to get past the bloat.

Removing the source of extra master phase actions usually means combat. There are good combat decks. I don't think they absolutely need Ashur, that's just the trend right now. You could also simply Banish Anson/Nana repeatedly or contest/Disputed Territory/Arson the Parthenon.

And of course you must play The Uncoiling!

If you want to go the payload route, pick a deck that sets up fast or starts killing right out of the gate. Many weenie bleed decks fit the bill as does the Vignes deck. Anarch Troublemaker is your friend as the master deck probably won't play wakes (at least not many).

Be sure to make good use of your own master phases. A well-tuned deck plays a master card every turn. Master cards are the most powerful in the game by design.

Master decks are good, but their main strength is to exploit the way people play. They work best in environments where you have a bit of a honeymoon phase where everybody is sort of allowed to set up and the killing is done after dark (to mix metaphors a bit). Break the rules and the master deck is left wondering what happened.

More
22 May 2012 10:39 #30949 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Limit master cards?
I think we have serious failure to communicate here. I´m talking about master decks are broken, ie they cannot be meta-played against in any effective or fun way.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds