lightbulb Library card redesign

26 Jul 2016 06:56 #77547 by alek
Replied by alek on topic Library card redesign
Generally I like this new design becouse of clear information it gives but at the same time it lefts not enough space for the illustration and the sidebar is just bleee ;) To make more room for pictures I would move artist's name to the side (like in Selfbiased's version), remove text about cost (it's doubling the same information that iconography gives and iconography is clear in this case) and make discipline symbols a little smaller (something between Ke's and Selfbiased's versions). I like the idea of dropping cards' types icons. The were never good and even experienced players misread them from time to time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2016 06:57 - 26 Jul 2016 06:59 #77548 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Library card redesign
From what I've seen:
  1. between the plain color bar and the textured bar proposed by self biaised, I tend to prefer the former. Ideally, it should be a mix between the too (as I said in my article: "textures should be simplified")
  2. I agree we can get rid of the type icon in the side bar, but not in the textboxes, to remove any ambiguity (see Gift of Sleep)
  3. The name should start from the left border of the picture. The photos takent proves it: you see only a small portion of the card, you need to have a identifying clue with the start of the name)
  4. The artist name should not be on the right border (self biaised version): it ruins the full art beauty
  5. Dual type cards should have a gradient, not a brutal frontier (see s7.postimg.org/wlzrxkkgb/taintedduals.png vs s17.postimg.org/r4ip7a1nz/originalduals.png)
  6. Some card effects have two types (Gift of Sleep: [obe] [ACTION MODIFIER][REACTION] Only usable when this vampire is about to enter combat with an ally. Tap that ally and end the action. If this vampire is blocking, do not tap him or her.) So distinctive background color to replace the card type is not necessarily a good idea, unless you want the card to look like some psychedelic outfit
  7. Textboxes look great in plain white, even though I'd make them slightly transparent
  8. Ke's (OP) choice of fonts looks better than self biaised (for card type especially)

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 06:59 by Ankha.

More
26 Jul 2016 07:32 #77549 by Juggernaut1981

Also. continuing being blunt, adding the colored stripes to the sides of the textboxes also looks so very ugly and confusing. Self-biased already gave better solution to this, which is the very transparent background color of the text boxes.

Actually I found the partially transparent boxes rather distracting, the "black/white" box system I found interesting and clear. Actually the point of those 'colour blocks' is to identify the 'usage'. If you're going to colour code the card, then as a logical extension, you 'tag' the usages with the colour (i.e. card text that is Combat text is red). There needs to be a way on the text box to tell just what kind of 'use' this card has for cards which have multiple card types. As Ankha mentions in #6, some can have two forms at the one level and hence you need to be able to show that as well quickly; he suggests the old icons but that doesn't remove the symbol problem Ke was trying to address and hence a colour block of some kind on the edge of the 'text block' seems an easy way to put that information there.

But like just said in my previous reply, actually the colored sidebar with the card type text works better than the old style symbols. I also like Ke's reasoning of removing the card type symbols to lessen the number of confusing symbols (especially for the newbies who must already struggle enough with all the discipline and clan symbols). Besides, why keep redundant info on the card which already are starved for space when you can actually convey the same info in more elegantly?

Mostly it was around 'riffing on themes'. Combine them, play with them, visualise them and see which ones work better.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
26 Jul 2016 09:17 #77551 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Library card redesign

Actually, right there. I didn't like the Discipline Colouring, so I was looking for a way around that. And colour is a great way to signify card type simply and quickly.
Action = Blue
Combat = Red
Modifier = Dull gold
Political = Orange-Gold
Master = Green
Reaction = Dark Blue
Event = Dark Red

Leaving aside the aesthetics, having a key game concept trigger off colour alone is a bad idea, unless you want to cause problems for colour-blind people.

Having colour as a short-cut for people with normal colour vision is fine, when it's backed up by something else - a distinct shape, literal text, font or font decoration (italics, underline, bold etc.), some sort of patterning etc. Having it as the only means of telling things apart is a right royal pain, especially when:

a) for theme/aesthetic reasons, you're probably avoiding certain colours and shades (e.g. Reflex is unlikely to be hot pink, Politics is unlikely to be bright-as-the-sun yellow), so you have a more limited colour palette with more scope for clashes, and

b) you're using individual people's printers, and my shoddy old printer at home that gets used once a year to print out a job application and is a bit gunked up is probably not hitting the same crisp shades as the colour laser print you're using at work etc.

More
26 Jul 2016 09:24 #77552 by Damnans
Replied by Damnans on topic Library card redesign

How would a political action such as Veles' Hunt look in this new design? I am mostly concerned about the amount of redundant information that can be given in the side bar.

Here's a complicated political action card:

Looks clean and simple — even with more information.

The "1 vote" text is missing. Where would you place it?

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
26 Jul 2016 09:50 #77553 by Juggernaut1981

Leaving aside the aesthetics, having a key game concept trigger off colour alone is a bad idea, unless you want to cause problems for colour-blind people.

That is usually a function of hue-intensity and can be easily determined as being a problem by setting the colours desaturated for normally sighted people and where tones are similar, one of them is changed.

Having colour as a short-cut for people with normal colour vision is fine, when it's backed up by something else - a distinct shape, literal text, font or font decoration (italics, underline, bold etc.), some sort of patterning etc. Having it as the only means of telling things apart is a right royal pain, especially when:

a) for theme/aesthetic reasons, you're probably avoiding certain colours and shades (e.g. Reflex is unlikely to be hot pink, Politics is unlikely to be bright-as-the-sun yellow), so you have a more limited colour palette with more scope for clashes, and

Sure, colour palette may have issues included, but again, I suspect you could easily find the required 9 or 10 colours that do not clash, are signficantly different for full sighted and the standard forms of colour blindness (the usually being partial red-green but others do appear).

b) you're using individual people's printers, and my shoddy old printer at home that gets used once a year to print out a job application and is a bit gunked up is probably not hitting the same crisp shades as the colour laser print you're using at work etc.

That problem exists as it is with people using poor quality printers. Very little one can do with that other than recommend you go to 'serious printers' when you want to print them; I usually recommend people print in black and white for deck testing and colour when they plan to use them for tournament-style times.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds