lightbulb Library card redesign

27 Jul 2016 05:43 #77568 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Library card redesign

I have never been one that cares about flavor text. But many people do. It is still used on most (all?) TCG and LCG.

I deliberately killed it — part of the information optimisation process.

It would be possible to add it to the most basic of cards; and it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of it's origin — to fill space on sparse cards...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2016 06:25 #77569 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Library card redesign

do both. having just the words "Modifier/Combat" on the side and then the icons in the actual text box is inconsistent and can possibly lead to confusion. I'd like to see something like

You're comparing the old versions; the newer ones are much more consistent:

There will always be exceptions — I think having the ability to expand when necessary (compared to unreadable text) is really useful. But it will always be the exception. The position and scale of the image is optimised for the most common size (the cards above).

More
27 Jul 2016 07:25 - 27 Jul 2016 07:28 #77570 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Library card redesign

do both. having just the words "Modifier/Combat" on the side and then the icons in the actual text box is inconsistent and can possibly lead to confusion. I'd like to see something like

You're comparing the old versions; the newer ones are much more consistent:

There will always be exceptions — I think having the ability to expand when necessary (compared to unreadable text) is really useful. But it will always be the exception. The position and scale of the image is optimised for the most common size (the cards above).

Even with the latest versions, it sill feels kinda weird to have cards with or without type icons.
So I was thinking, do we still need cards type icons ? What if we drop all of them and use word instead ? (Just as you did on the left bar.) Could you try to make a version of Force of Personnality with capital name instead of icons in the text box ?

Now here are some other impressions I got about theses cards :
- Though it's not the most important thing right now, we should also consider some readjustment in the card text. For exemple, I think that the "only 1 perd round" part of IG should go in the black box. So does "blood hunt" for Vele's Hunt as it's clearly a keyword.
- Personnaly, I don't like the fact that the cost appears both in icon and in text. Maybe we can reduce the black box when there is nothing in it.

In any case, I think you did a great job !
I can't wait to see how you will deal with some other tricky cards (such as Shambling or Camarilla Vitae Slave).

EDIT : also, since the left bar layout is important, what about "Burn Option" ?
Last edit: 27 Jul 2016 07:28 by 666Raziel.

More
27 Jul 2016 07:55 #77571 by GreyB
Replied by GreyB on topic Library card redesign
Love where this is going.

My suggestions:
- Smaller icons (maximise text areas)
- Smaller margins (maximise text areas)
- Smaller card type text, perhaps align more left.
- No duplication (blood icon + extra cost text)

I like the design (margins, icon size etc), but feel some design sacrifices must be made for function.
Especially anarch cards eat a lot of space with box separations.

The cost icon overlapping the black text area works when there's text, but starts looking inconsistent when there's no text. Perhaps put the cost aside the card type text just under the title.

= : Card title
| : Card Type Text
X : Cost
| =======
| X
| X
|

:garg: :VIS: :POT: :FOR: :flight: -1 Strength

More
27 Jul 2016 12:47 - 28 Jul 2016 11:08 #77575 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Library card redesign

I have never been one that cares about flavor text. But many people do. It is still used on most (all?) TCG and LCG.

I deliberately killed it — part of the information optimisation process.

It would be possible to add it to the most basic of cards; and it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of it's origin — to fill space on sparse cards...

I'm with Ke here, while sort of nice, these can't be hindering clarity.

So should only be used in cards that have very little text.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 11:08 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
27 Jul 2016 13:51 #77577 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Library card redesign
was that really a problem though? Were people somehow mistaking flavor text for game text? The very notion strains credulity.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds