lightbulb Library card redesign

26 Jul 2016 10:07 - 26 Jul 2016 10:09 #77554 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Library card redesign

b) you're using individual people's printers, and my shoddy old printer at home that gets used once a year to print out a job application and is a bit gunked up is probably not hitting the same crisp shades as the colour laser print you're using at work etc.

That problem exists as it is with people using poor quality printers. Very little one can do with that other than recommend you go to 'serious printers' when you want to print them; I usually recommend people print in black and white for deck testing and colour when they plan to use them for tournament-style times.

Since it will now apparently require people use commercial quality printers because you've forced a key game mechanic to rely on colour differences, could you draft the section of the V:EKN tournament rules that explains what a legal card now is? Being able to read a card is pretty easy to determine, being able to tell if my printer is providing an unintentionally washed-out form of blue because I'm low on ink, not so much. Which is why:

That is usually a function of hue-intensity and can be easily determined as being a problem by setting the colours desaturated for normally sighted people and where tones are similar, one of them is changed.

...runs into problems extremely quickly. My green comes out unintentionaly desaturated because my printer is somewhat rubbish (for whatever reason), and things go downhill very quickly.

Bottom line: if you think putting hard colour requirements into the game like this is trivially surmountable, you are very, very wrong, in every conceivable way. There's a reason why accessibility experts plead with programmers and designers to let people change things, or not rely on colour in the first place, and it's not that accessibility experts are too busy to just tell those programmers the secret palette combination that will solve the problem. My monitor is not your monitor, my handheld is not your handheld, my eyes are not your eyes. Give it up.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 10:09 by jamesatzephyr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2016 11:08 #77555 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Library card redesign

There's a reason why accessibility experts plead with programmers and designers to let people change things, or not rely on colour in the first place, and it's not that accessibility experts are too busy to just tell those programmers the secret palette combination that will solve the problem.

There's also the colour blind. Colours should only serve as an aid, a bonus — never a requirement (hence the card type specially named).

More
26 Jul 2016 11:16 #77556 by Ke.

The "1 vote" text is missing. Where would you place it?

It would easily fit in the black area — that comfortably supports 2 lines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans

More
26 Jul 2016 11:22 #77557 by Ke.
OK, based on peoples feedback. Here's the final (or near enough) versions.

The size of title has been increased and re-positioned. The side bar has been given character without being too in your face — it's also been given a worn timely feel in keeping with the general game vibe. The texture is also partial derived from the main image — although it's very subtle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans, Lönkka, MarcusVitel, self biased, brettscho, DShrike

More
26 Jul 2016 13:53 #77558 by MarcusVitel
Replied by MarcusVitel on topic Library card redesign
The new card design looks great. Thanks for doing this. Just my two cents: The combat and modifier symbols on the Force of Personality look somewhat out of place. If we choose to get rid of the symbols, I think it has to be consistent. We don't want to have somebody not familiar with the symbols to pull out a reference card if we can avoid it. Didn't like the multicolor idea either. Maybe just a simple "C: ...." "M:..." can solve this.

I think the Clan symbol for a requirement should move up to the black header box. This will match the blood, pool and 'only usable...' prerequisite character of that area. That would also work with other minion and master cards.

Also, I prefer the previous colored bar with no pattern. Less symbols and less shade/pattern is the way to go these days, but that might just be me.

Thanks again.

Marcus

More
26 Jul 2016 13:53 #77559 by Sydnelson
Replied by Sydnelson on topic Library card redesign

OK, based on peoples feedback. Here's the final (or near enough) versions.

The size of title has been increased and re-positioned. The side bar has been given character without being too in your face — it's also been given a worn timely feel in keeping with the general game vibe. The texture is also partial derived from the main image — although it's very subtle.

Is really need to use icon and text to represent card cost? I think only icon is enough, And the position of the icon can be changed to the right side in below corner like crypt cards.

Also you can text use between 10 to 20% os transparency in card tybe bar to show more of artwork.

Fernando Cesar - Sydnelson
LackeyCCG and OCTGN VtES Mantainer

:adv: :camarilla: :vent: :obf: :pro: :tha: :DOM: :PRE: :cap8:
Prince of Rio de Janeiro

Powerbase Rio de Janeiro

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds