lightbulb Library card redesign

27 Jul 2016 23:18 #77583 by Yomyael
Replied by Yomyael on topic Library card redesign

do both. having just the words "Modifier/Combat" on the side and then the icons in the actual text box is inconsistent and can possibly lead to confusion. I'd like to see something like

You're comparing the old versions; the newer ones are much more consistent:

[...].

I am sorry - I can't see here anything that gets rid of the inconsistency. The point is, you have only text on the left bar to denote the card type(s), and Force of Personality shows only Symbols in the text box to denote which effect corresponds to which cardtype. For new players there is no way to learn the symbols, as they are only on few, complicated cards, and never explained.

Apart from that I really like what you did there - although a part of my heart is crying at loosing the flavor texts. I love reading those when I have to wait until someone makes a decision, even though I probably read most of them already hundreds of times.

Prince of Bonn, Germany

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2016 10:07 #77586 by Juggernaut1981

I love that you've moved the 'blend' up on Force of Personality so it can be seen. That achieves the 'double bar' solution. But it introduces a contradiction: if the card action symbols are problematic, then shifting the problem on the card to the text box won't remove the problem. All that has happened is it migrated on some card types.

It seems that some kind of colour-tag is required to solve the problem. If you take the symbol away, you need the 'new symbol' or another signifier. Maybe even as simple as "Combat" or "Modifier" or "Action" as a bold line as the top row of the text box.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
28 Jul 2016 11:08 #77590 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Library card redesign

Maybe even as simple as "Combat" or "Modifier" or "Action" as a bold line as the top row of the text box.

The sample cards do have the card type written in the colored sidebar.
Since it is the sidebar it is not eating up any prime space anywhere else!

If you can't locate it from the sidebar, I dare say that you are not able to locate it even if it was in the center of the picture with letters as big as a house... :)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
28 Jul 2016 11:11 #77591 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Library card redesign

was that really a problem though? Were people somehow mistaking flavor text for game text? The very notion strains credulity.

No that kind of clarity, but if the flavor text eats up so much space that you have to compromise with the actual game text/symbols, then in such cards no flavor text is needed.

I so dearly liked the original flavor texts for all those great bands which were later removed since, erm, no one had thought to ask permission for them in the first place...

The subsequent flavor texts have all more or less been in the meh -catagory.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
28 Jul 2016 11:44 - 28 Jul 2016 11:46 #77594 by Juggernaut1981

Maybe even as simple as "Combat" or "Modifier" or "Action" as a bold line as the top row of the text box.

The sample cards do have the card type written in the colored sidebar.
Since it is the sidebar it is not eating up any prime space anywhere else!

If you can't locate it from the sidebar, I dare say that you are not able to locate it even if it was in the center of the picture with letters as big as a house... :)

Huh? I just meant, if you're getting rid of the symbol from the Sidebar, why are you putting it into the "text"? If you want it to replace it with words, do that everywhere. If you want to replace it with colours, do that everywhere. If you want to replace it with (insert thing here) then do that everywhere.

Force of Personality and stuff like Swallowed by the Night will have the same problem.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 11:46 by Juggernaut1981.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 666Raziel

More
28 Jul 2016 12:25 - 28 Jul 2016 12:27 #77595 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Library card redesign
as had been mentioned before: solely relying on colors to differentiate cardtypes probably isn't the best idea, because color blindness is a thing. Using a color strip to identify cardtypes is effectively changing from a symbol that's been in use for the last twenty-odd years to a new one. This is precisely why I am advocating that the icons stay on the bar with the text reminder, and have a very transparent texture matching the cardtypes in the text box.

For what it's worth, I have a player in my group who has a significant visual impairment and the icons help him identify cards.

Edit: i think we're actually arguing the same point, Juggernaut.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 12:27 by self biased.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brettscho, Yomyael

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds