lightbulb Crypt card redesign

17 Sep 2016 17:19 - 17 Sep 2016 17:21 #78349 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign
When I speak about clarity, it means that any player (new and old) can identify the nature of the text he's reading at first sight. (Understanding the meaning of it is something else.)

Here is what I said to Ankha :

The other thing is that if we get a clear picture of how a trait and ability are different, we may find out a rule to display them in a logical way in the textbox.

Like I said :

Abilities = sentences. (and +X bonus count as a sentence, since it's only the condensed form of "Y has +X.")

Trait = word(s).

Trait => black box
Abilities => white box
I don't think it could be more simple.

As for the Ur-Shulgi examples it's irrelevant against what I'm advocating because none of those tries follow my pattern.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2016 17:21 by 666Raziel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2016 17:40 #78350 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Crypt card redesign

When I speak about clarity, it means that any player (new and old) can identify the nature of the text he's reading at first sight. (Understanding the meaning of it is something else.)

Okay, so by clarity you mean "I've divided card text arbitrarily into two categories, and when other people think that's bullshit, I'll tell them they're nitpicking." Good to know.

More
17 Sep 2016 20:12 #78351 by Damnans
Replied by Damnans on topic Crypt card redesign

Normally, icons and images in general are faster ways than text to identify things.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
17 Sep 2016 20:52 #78352 by 666Raziel

Normally, icons and images in general are faster ways than text to identify things.

In a way, I would totally agree with you. (That's why, for example, I'm in favor of icon to represent life, strength and bleed on allies cards.)

But icon needs to be restricted, or else it creates confusion.
For example, why is Flight having an icon and not Infernal ? Fundamentally they are both the same thing.
Why Advance get to be "icon only" and not "Scarce" ?
Etc.
(Few similar question could be asked regarding library cards as well.)

Nevertheless, if you think icon is the solution, why not try it ?
We could use them for the common denominator of every vampire : clan, sect and maybe vote ?

More
18 Sep 2016 08:43 - 18 Sep 2016 08:44 #78358 by Damnans
Replied by Damnans on topic Crypt card redesign

In a way, I would totally agree with you. (That's why, for example, I'm in favor of icon to represent life, strength and bleed on allies cards.)

But icon needs to be restricted, or else it creates confusion.

Agreed.

For example, why is Flight having an icon and not Infernal ? Fundamentally they are both the same thing.

Because Flight works like a discipline, and disciplines use icons in order to make them easier to identify, given their high number (28).

Why Advance get to be "icon only" and not "Scarce" ?

I think the reason behind this is that, by using an icon, you cannot possibly mistake a base vampire with an advanced one at a first glance.

Nevertheless, if you think icon is the solution, why not try it ?
We could use them for the common denominator of every vampire : clan, sect and maybe vote ?

I did not mean icons to be the solution. My point is that if an icon works, please do not replace it with text, because text will make it more difficult for the player to identify card types, requirements, etc.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
Last edit: 18 Sep 2016 08:44 by Damnans.

More
18 Sep 2016 10:33 #78359 by 666Raziel
Flight does not work like a Discipline. When a vampire plays Soar while Blood Weakens is in play, the Methuselah does have to wait to replace that cards. As a game component, Flight is closer to Black Hand than it is to any Disciplines.

If you want to address it by decreeing that now on, Flight, Striga and Malefica are Disciplines ; I'm OK with that.
But you cannot use the same representation for different things. For me it's a great example of icon's use gone wrong.

The fact that "icon work" is, in my opinion, subject to discussion. Since we drag some of those for 15 years, I think that we (the "used player") mistake habits and effectiveness.

Also, even if those icon works according to the majority of the user expressing their opinion on this topic, it does not mean that we cannot find a solution that work better. B)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds