file New set in 2012

09 Dec 2011 11:40 #17802 by johannes
Replied by johannes on topic Re: New set in 2012

That is what the V:EKN does, actually. Every NC should repost what he deems important from here to his local forum. Every prince should be here and keep track and report back to his local playerbase. Not all of them do, but most. I have always assumed that this is a good enough way to distribute information to as many players as possible.

Again, you are in denial. I dont know who our NC is. The national forum I knew of was always dead when I was a prince. There are no active princes in bc right now. VEKN has 0 visibility whatsoever from what I can see, but for the 1 player besides myself that alerted me to this 'new set'.

Let me put it this way: I know it works for the most countries that have a significant number of active V:TES players. It is sad to hear that it doesn't work for Canada (if I figured correctly your nation). But that is certainly not the fault of the VEKN but of the Canadian players. Go ahead gather your princes and agree on a NC. He can try to organize a national forum and make the right moves to keep people interested into VTES in Canada. If I check the player registry which has quite old data from the glorious days of white wolf I see 5 people with ANY rating at all. That means Canada has been giving a shit about VEKN sanctioned tournaments for years. So why do you go nuts about new cards that only affect VEKN sanctioned tournaments when you apparently are not interested in them at all?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jesper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2011 12:34 #17809 by blackday
Replied by blackday on topic Re: New set in 2012
I personally find the notion of a new set to be quite positive, i'm banking on the experience and competence of the vekn team to bring their years of wisdom into the game. If one is a skeptic, then let us wait for the 1st set to come out before you start criticizing people. Go VEKN!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
09 Dec 2011 12:37 - 09 Dec 2011 12:53 #17810 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: New set in 2012

Of those ~30 active Dutch players I know 10 that absolutely hate the PDF cards and have zero intention to play with them and do not wish to play agaisnt them *solely* because they are fan-created PDF's.

That argument is nonsense. The cards of the previous sets were playtested by the same people who design the new cards now. The playtesters helped in designing new cards a lot. The process now is more or less the same. The only difference is that now Ben Peal is the leading person instead of LSJ. Is that a reason to stop playing? Does that mean the set has to be bad?
I'm sure that everybody in this forum would appreciate it very much to have *real* cards instead of a PDF. But IT DOESN'T WORK. We have been through this already often enough. If your playgroup/the dutch community really wants to play with old cards only for the next couple of years (what I strongly doubt, sorry, I'd be glad to hear of some other players from the Netherlands) that doesn't mean that we all have to. PDF is the only option at the moment so rather have that than nothing.

Baron of Frankfurt
Last edit: 09 Dec 2011 12:53 by Joscha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
09 Dec 2011 12:48 #17815 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: New set in 2012
Let haters hate everything. Suffisent people will be happy to see that kind of initiative, let's let other people play as they want.

If they hate the PDFs because they can not more go to VEKN-sanctioned event, then somehow they admit that VEKN is not just a fan organisation ; other than that, this will not affect them.

More
09 Dec 2011 13:23 - 09 Dec 2011 13:23 #17826 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: New set in 2012

That argument is nonsense.

And precisely this attitude is another reason why the "fuck it" mentality is there.

The way I look at it is this: change nothing, the game continues and slowly dies out eventually. Release fan sets and you split the playerbase into two not neccesarily equally sized groups and the game dies out a little bit faster.

I mean, ye sure VTES lived through the first torpor phase, but that was in a time there were like 300 cards, CCGs were hot and games were for nerds. I don't think we'll be here organizing ECs and NACs 5 years from now so why would you want to lose players just so all the stayers can play with 25 new crypt cards.

I'm sure that everybody in this forum would appreciate it very much to have *real* cards instead of a PDF.

I doubt it. There are enough players that want to play with freaking proxies in the name of leveling the playing field.

But IT DOESN'T WORK. We have been through this already often enough.

We don't know this. This whole legality issue has been blown way out of proportion. I'm perfectly allowed to have my shitty PDF cards printed on good paper and give them VTES backs. Plus, it's not like ANYONE will ever find out. I'm also perfectly allowed to have this done for every player I play with and just charge them whatever the copyshop charges and will in fact do exactly this in an attempt to keep people playing. Princes and NCs are perfectly allowed to run into a copyshop and have 500 of each card printed and then sell them to their local playgroups at cost.

Yes, PDF is more convenient but in this era of digital intellectual properties, I seriously doubt you're breaking more copyrights by actually printing the shit and shipping printed cards (at zero profit) than you do by putting PDFs online for everyone to download.

If they hate the PDFs because they can not more go to VEKN-sanctioned event, then somehow they admit that VEKN is not just a fan organisation ; other than that, this will not affect them.

If alienating players is your goal, then these kind of responses are exactly what you need. Keep 'em coming.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2011 13:23 by Izaak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: talonz

More
09 Dec 2011 13:28 #17828 by Amenophobis
Replied by Amenophobis on topic Re: New set in 2012
Izaak, I ask you to have your Dutch players voice their fears and reservations regarding the upcoming expansion here. Where it really matters. They may have arguments that others have not considered yet. Or they might get convinced that such an expansion will not be so bad at all. Who knows?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds