file New set in 2012

09 Feb 2012 22:20 #22650 by Angel74
Replied by Angel74 on topic Re: New set in 2012
And to Kevin: I am sorry that you seem to take great personal offence in what I said about your post. Please let me rephrase a small part of what I said, and hope you get what I meant this time:

I know you do not represent the VEKN in what you just posted, but please - read it back and smell the arrogance in HOW YOU STATED what you stated there. It's posts like that one that keeps many players away from this forum.

We seem to have a different view on the use of the words 'run' and 'running'. Other than that, I remain with my statement, to be continued below.

It's not the people here claiming that they are going to enter tournaments with disregard for the upcoming rules set.

I immediately agree this is a bit silly and somewhat childish. It's not what I intend to do. It also is a personal issue of some folks in here, not the general opinion of VEKN.

It's not openly questioning why the people that are in charge of the VEKN became in charge of VTES after everything that they've done.

I will never deny the folks in charge of the VEKN did an awful lot for the game, I just don't see how that puts them 'in charge' of the game. Did they buy or obtain in any other way all the rights involved with the game? If so, then yes, they're 'in charge'. If they didn't, then sorry, but they're not. It's a common good as any other game now being carried by a fanbase.

It's not saying that those in charge are bad players and/or people.

Agreed - stating that would be silly, if not plain stupid.

It's not the hyperbolic, not the rhetoric, nor the factless-laden, personal-attack posts that appear here daily within the other helpful and insightful posts.

Comes with running a forum. More than everyone would like will these kind of posts pop up every once and while, and who of us can honestly say they NEVER got sucked into a somewhat emotional response which came out a little harsher than we intended it to be?

It's not the constant bitching about 15-year old sleeve and card back arguments in the belief that a new administration -- which is disrespected, anyway -- will submit to minutia-based arguments and cater to the crowd that plays with and for Fear, and not with and for the Joy of the game.

Since English is not my mother-language, I am not sure what you're saying here, so I will refrain from commenting on it.

If you claim that I personally am keeping people away from VTES, you should look at my record of attracting more people to more VTES events than almost anyone in the world, no mater where or when they are held, with almost universal acclaim by the participants for the Joy of the events.

Here's where it gets interesting. I don't claim you personally keep players away from V:tES. If you wish to play the Personal Record Card: there's no doubt in my mind that you, as 'Prince of Las Vegas', have meant more for the game than almost anyone in the world (that being your own words, I'll leave commenting on that to almost anyone in the world).
Considering that my title once was 'Prince of Hilversum', a small town in the Netherlands of which most of the readers here probably have never heard, I don't quite deserve to even stand in the shadow of someone as great as yourself.

But to me, it seems you and me both are the same kind if volunteers that try to promote the same game within their best behaviour and possibilities. If sheer numbers (of comparing Las Vegas with Hilversum) make you a better person than me, or even almost anyone in the world, then I'm still glad you do not represent the VEKN. Because if that the way they look at it, I will REALLY start to worry about the future of this game.

No, I simply commented on the way you used your words in that single post. The arrogance was in the way you put your words, at least to me in how I interpreted them. Call it 'poor choice of words' then, and that being my opinion, backed up by some fellow players I showed your post to.

If you claim that I'm arrogant when I ask even a single question, then I'd submit that when someone responds to a question with a personal attack, it is quite telling.

Yes, well, you see, I never claimed that. It's how you interpreted it.

The fact that I've come to expect that from a small, vocal subset of posters (and players) in the last 10 years has more to do with being unable to collect and retain players than anything I've ever done or said.

... no comment.

So the VEKN should respect your posts and find them completely acceptable, because you're just asking questions and trying to get a clear picture of the future of the game...

Ofcourse, that's why they have a forum in the first place and ask the community to vent their opinion on their ideas, right? Am I that unique in thinking just that?

...and you don't respect me and my posts when I ask a single question for the same reason? I see.

Quite a difference here. Too bad you don't see it. Let me try to explain one final time. Your words, in the post I commented on, were:

I'm curious by what reasoning people think that it's acceptable to defy the will of the people now running the game.

Not a real question in there, but you seem to see asking questions (in this case even questions many of us seem to have) as 'defying the will of the people now running the game'.

It's precisely this part of your post that I have difficulties with. More specific - two things bother me. The first being the fact that I think I have said, often enough, I think the VEKN has meant a great deal for V:tES, and now, because I don't agree with them on some parts, Í 'defy' them? Quite strong, if not ridiculously exaggerated, by you.

The second thing being my interpretation of the words 'now running the game', which I explained earlier in this post. That's the part that, to me, has an arrogant sound to it. Nothing more, nothing less.

As nothing was ever said (or done) for the 15+ years prior to now, I can only hypothesize that there is a lack of respect, if not outright disregard, for the people now running the game.

Not really a question in this part either; just makes me wonder if you and I both have been reading completely different sources of communication between us players. Because I have seen comments all over on everyone ever 'running the game' all the time, it being on Wizards, WW or even CCP. This has always been part of the community, and will always be part of the community. It has nothing to do with who is 'running' things at this very moment, and it's not even unique to VEKN or V:tES for that matter.

Why is that, I wonder?

So here's the question you must have been talking about. And frankly, if that's the way you ask your questions to the community, you might want to reconsider the way you phrase them, because this one is not very specific. It even seems you're asking yourself this question, making it quite impossible for anyone to answer.

Since we're all 'running the game' now, ...

Labeling me as arrogant and then saying this? Wow.

This is a bit pathetic, and the part where you're losing quite some respect, if you ask me. You left out an important part of what I said there, coloring the quote to fit your own silly comment.

You might have noticed one thing. The words 'run' and 'running', in their different contexts, were never mine. They were yours. I have disagreed on them from the beginning. That's why I used quotation marks on them all the time.

I still think we all, as a community, are putting in effort to keep this game strong. The VEKN as a form of organization that offers a platform for tournament play and a tracking record (yes, amongst other things, I see those too, no worries), and us players to keep that very same platform existing.

Without platform, the community will fall apart, and with out players, there's little use for a platform. Hence we all 'run' the game. That is how I see it, and many with me. You seem to have a different opinion. VEKN is God, and we bow to it. If I'm wrong, please elaborate on that part for a bit.

I know other people who have meant a great deal to V:tES, but not always agreeing with the VEKN. Do these folks matter a lot less? Or might there be a slight chance we simply need eachother to keep our game existing?

"They had forgotten the first lesson, that we are to be powerful, beautiful, and without regret." ~ Armand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2012 22:43 - 09 Feb 2012 22:47 #22660 by er-principe
Replied by er-principe on topic Re: New set in 2012

Emiliano, you know I respect you and many others in the VEKN, but this simply isn't true. Most obvious example is that 'standard paper' in the US differs from what 'standard paper' is in the Netherlands, both in size and weight. So, there's room for interpretation. And I don't even know about papersize and -weight in other countries.

If the case, i'm pretty sure the rule will be modified to cover
also what "standard" is considered for the various int'l standard

But it's stands now it's crystal clear, as it was from the very beginning
about the "new set" discussions, that vekn can't allow any centralized (say, country based) way of printing the pdf cards, nor we can allow the print of double-sided of those (new pdf) cards

And people arguing for nothing against this should take into account
that the various aspects about the matter (legal and so on) has been evaluated by the chairman and the other IC

And they should be trusted, as they are the people in touch with the involved (copyright owners) companies and know well what can be done or not about the printing of the pdf sets, above all in the respect of keeping reasonable chanche for the game to be published again in the future

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 09 Feb 2012 22:47 by er-principe.

More
10 Feb 2012 08:21 #22718 by Angel74

And people arguing for nothing against this should take into account that the various aspects about the matter (legal and so on) has been evaluated by the chairman and the other IC

Now this is a statement I think is very clear. 'Arguing for nothing' really says it all. And although I'm still not sure about every aspect of the matter of legality being evaluated, I WILL take your word for it.

I will see it as a 'necessary evil' then, to use the new set as pieces of paper in front of official cards, and trust the VEKN enough that if my NC approves of my prints of the new cards, a VEKN tournament organizer elsewhere will automatically agree on them as well, since all room for interpretation is covered by the rule(s).

"They had forgotten the first lesson, that we are to be powerful, beautiful, and without regret." ~ Armand.

More
10 Feb 2012 08:31 - 10 Feb 2012 08:33 #22719 by er-principe
Replied by er-principe on topic Re: New set in 2012

And people arguing for nothing against this should take into account that the various aspects about the matter (legal and so on) has been evaluated by the chairman and the other IC

Now this is a statement I think is very clear. 'Arguing for nothing' really says it all. And although I'm still not sure about every aspect of the matter of legality being evaluated, I WILL take your word for it.

It's up to you (as for everyone) to trust the people in charge in the IC atm
(i personally do, as i've seen a lot of good work done so far by them)
And yes, afaik every aspect of the legal matter has been taken into account
and evaluated, and by that the update in current tournament rules since last 02 december, about card allowed

But i'm pretty sure also that IC will listen to any good suggestion/advice, if any, about the "print pdf" debated here, that could result in a better rule and set up about future pdf sets printing

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 10 Feb 2012 08:33 by er-principe.

More
10 Feb 2012 10:49 #22724 by Angel74
Thanks for clarifying. But I have my doubts about that last part of your post. I have read some pretty concerning things on the forum about the VEKN and how it's seen by some.

I'll just say that I hope you're right.

Good advice CAN come from debating things, even if said debate gets somewhat heated at some point. I'd like to think that's what a forum is for. If no desire for debate, then why run a forum under the VEKN flag?

More
10 Feb 2012 11:42 #22726 by Amenophobis
Replied by Amenophobis on topic Re: New set in 2012

Thanks for clarifying. But I have my doubts about that last part of your post. I have read some pretty concerning things on the forum about the VEKN and how it's seen by some.

I'll just say that I hope you're right.

Good advice CAN come from debating things, even if said debate gets somewhat heated at some point. I'd like to think that's what a forum is for. If no desire for debate, then why run a forum under the VEKN flag?

See, here lies the problem.

There would be no open forum for open discussion, if the VEKN was some kind of elitist club. Which it isn't. Yes, I'm biased, as I'm NC, but I have been involved with the VEKN for about 14-15 years and I have never had the feeling that the powers that be are not willing to listen to good arguments.

What I cannot understand is that there are people who are not involved with the VEKN who judge the book by it's cover. You can always talk to the people who run the VEKN. Send them a message with the menu on the left side of this website.

If you have strong feelings about VTES and the player base, why not try to improve things from within (there can always be room for improvement)?

The VEKN does not "run" VTES. The owner is still WW/CCP. The VEKN is trying to ensure that the playerbase remains at a healthy level and provides a fair playing field for all players participating in tournaments. Everything the VEKN does, is not for itself, but for the players out there.

What players do in their friendly, private games, is entirely up to them: cardlimits, deck-type-shunning, proxies on paper, proxies on cardboard, etc. Just don't ask the VEKN to condone things which they know would be detrimental to the goals of the VEKN.

Kepp on playing. B)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds