file The future of V:TES

16 Sep 2012 12:50 #36950 by alek
Replied by alek on topic Re: The future of V:TES
First of all, I would like to express that if vtes would ever be printed again (which I doubt) I'll be very happy independently of the form of it.
Secondly, I feel one aspect of the discussion is missing.
Followers of "dial-a-card" vision are telling that this is better for attracting new players. I'm not so sure about it. First, don't forget that big prices for cards like ashur tablets or enkil cog we can observe now are the result of KoT not being in print anymore. If we could still buy boosters of it, the prices would be much, much smaller, so the barrier you are mentioning would be non existing. Second, it depends on kind of hobby the person is looking for. If it's just "I want to play a best multiplayer game" than this version is fine. But vtes gives you much more than just a game. Part of the fun is deckbuilding and TRADING. And that's the part you would kill with such distibution. Making some people unhappy, because some their treasures will lose a value is not a big problem, but making vtes less atrractive by removing part of a fun it could give is, IMO, much bigger problem.
Still, as I mentioned at the begging, I would be crazy happy, if vtes could come back to live again, in any form
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daidalos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2012 14:16 #36957 by ReverendRevolver
I'm not entirely convinced just printing what you want the best business model for the game to have longevity, but reclassifying how rarety works and making new players able to access certain things with extreme ease would be a feature of any method used for reprinting.
new players for vtes typically don't want every card in the game handed to them, its too overwhelming. knowing how to play three decks and assuming in the back of their head that its only the tip of the iceberg is part of what retains prospective players.

I'm sure that if pod vtes happens, everyone will make sure that its carried out in a way that ensures the games survival, which means oop stuff will become cheaper no matter what and will be made accessible to players new and old, likely by multiple means.

More
16 Sep 2012 14:40 #36961 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: The future of V:TES
Let's be honest : staple card played by most deck that can (thing like Deep song, Target: Vital or Eye of Argus for the hard to get one, or Immortal Grapple, Psyche, or Govern for the one who aren't) should absolutely be either on pay per print or in preconstructed deck.

Reediting rare and more obscure card like Mind Rape, Summon History, Call the great beast, and the like, may not be a too smart move. At least not on a pure pay per print.

Of course, they will alway be some discussion. Should Ashur tablet be widely available ? And Sensory Deprivation, which is more or less one of the two card that define Ravnos with Week of Nightmare ? Should staple card for bloodline be widely available ?

More
16 Sep 2012 16:35 #36970 by ReverendRevolver
I absolutely think freak drive, eyes of Argus, deep song, rego motus, target vitals, and many more should come in the next set of precons. in fact, those cards sell precons. if you use a rule of half the number you use in a twd. go into a precon then gangrel and ravnos each get four deep song and four freakdrive. right there, the deck is worth buying. add three pack alpha and a dog pack to gangrel and two draba and a sense dep to ravnos and you have something I believe to be ideal: playable starters for new players and great harvesting product for established players.

bloodlines rare staples I can't decide. should neutral guard and summon history be in precons or click to order? I'm not sure I like that. But they need reprinted. same with cog.

there are staples like deflection that need to be available in bulk for new players, by pod or in precons with other staples. I think everyone agrees on that helping the future of the game.

cards being attainable for ten dollars or less on the singles market is what should happen, in my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porphyrion

More
16 Sep 2012 16:47 #36971 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: The future of V:TES
I think, regardless of how you handle any new printing, it's an illusion that a lot of new players will suddenly enter the game.

VTES is complex, takes a lot of time to learn as well as play and has a very low playerbase to start with. To top it off, the game will have to compete with Magic when it comes to attracting new players and that game has an amazing business-model for getting new players involved.

So any new set or offer should be geared towards maintaining the current playerbase more than anything else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, dude_PL, CryWolf, Daidalos

More
16 Sep 2012 18:38 #36977 by johannes
Replied by johannes on topic Re: The future of V:TES
Keep the ideas coming guys, this is all very helpful. The more insight I get into what the players want the better will the eventual outcome fit them.

At the moment I have to agree with Izaak, keeping the current player base and re-activating lost players is probably the priority in the first step. Keep in mind that there will be technical difficulties and the more custom the whole order process will be the longer it will take to get it online. So most likely I will try to aim for some pre con decks that can be pushed immediately to the market once a potential deal can be reached, along with a longer term program for true POD.

I will also look into the technical feasibility of changing the border color, it should remain dark I think, but probably some marbling or similar can be done. It depends if the border is embedded in the source image (don't think so) or was simply reached by black background plus the cutting stencil.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds