exclamation-circle Timing of "Kindred Spirits" under "The Rising"

02 Dec 2011 21:30 - 01 Feb 2013 08:12 #16865 by Hakuron
Rising, The
Event. Gehenna. Do not replace until your prey is ousted. Requires at least two other Gehenna cards in play.
A Methuselah cannot gain pool during his or her own turn unless he or she has the Edge or at least one victory point. Any pool he or she would gain goes to the bank instead.

Kindred Spirits
Action. Dementation
:dem: (D) Bleed any Methuselah. Gain 1 pool if this bleed is successful (for 1 or more).
:DEM: As above, with +1 bleed.

Given there is The Rising in play, and I have no VP and do not control the Edge, and one of my minion's bleeds successfully with Kindred Spirits: Can I arrange the order of effects that way, that I can gain the one pool granted by Kindred Spirits, i.e. first taking the Edge and than "finish" the card text?

Thanks

:tore:

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de
Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 08:12 by Pascal Bertrand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2011 21:35 #16866 by Wedge
Do you even have the option not to gain the pool?

More
02 Dec 2011 21:45 #16869 by Ankha

Rising, The
Event. Gehenna. Do not replace until your prey is ousted. Requires at least two other Gehenna cards in play.
A Methuselah cannot gain pool during his or her own turn unless he or she has the Edge or at least one victory point. Any pool he or she would gain goes to the bank instead.

Kindred Spirits
Action. Dementation
:dem: (D) Bleed any Methuselah. Gain 1 pool if this bleed is successful (for 1 or more).
:DEM: As above, with +1 bleed.

Given there is The Rising in play, and I have no VP and do not control the Edge, and one of my minion's bleeds successfully with Kindred Spirits: Can I arrange the order of effects that way, that I can gain the one pool granted by Kindred Spirits, i.e. first taking the Edge and than "finish" the card text?

Thanks

The question has already been asked and answered:

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/c2dda4b94257a112/c5111c8ca15a788b

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron

More
02 Dec 2011 21:48 #16872 by AaronC
I think the answer is yes. You have two if/then statements to resolve:

If this bleed is successful gain one pool.
If this bleed is successful, you get the Edge. (section 6 of the rules, I think)

No doubt there's a ruling somewhere, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to order these effects since they are both triggered by the same thing, namely a successful bleed.

Unless they happen at the same time...?

More
02 Dec 2011 21:48 #16873 by Hakuron

Do you even have the option not to gain the pool?

Well, if I were to choose the order of the effects caused by my successful bleed, I could be allowed to first resolve the text of Kindred Spirits, thus getting no pool due to the effect of The Rising, and then take the Edge ... B)
Same would be true if gaining the Edge was the last effect of a successful bleed by default (not taking action modifiers into consideration).

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de

More
02 Dec 2011 21:53 - 02 Dec 2011 21:55 #16875 by AaronC
Ankha beat me, but you have to go to another link in his page to find the explicit ruling about Kindred Spirits:

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/3ee599d88db2e08d

> - The Rising
> The Rising is in play. I do not have the edge. I successfully bleed
> with Kindred Spirits. Do I gain 1 pool from Kindred Spirits ?

No. You have to resolve the bleed (resolve the action) in order to get
the Edge.

Apparently everything about the bleed action, not just the bleed itself, has to resolve before you get the Edge.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2011 21:55 by AaronC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds