file PB - Shadow Court Satyr & Reflex Cards

10 May 2013 23:05 #48360 by Juggernaut1981
However, if it was a genuine different card-type (i.e. like the multi-type cards of action mod/combat cards) then it would have two symbols on the left-hand side.

While it has a symbol, in the text, is it a non-combat effect and therefore a non-combat ability?

Also, on that score, shouldn't Charismatic Aura effectively be a reflex as well at it's "Cancel a grapple" text?

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2013 23:31 - 10 May 2013 23:33 #48361 by Molloy

However, if it was a genuine different card-type (i.e. like the multi-type cards of action mod/combat cards) then it would have two symbols on the left-hand side.

The rulebook specifically lists reflex as a distinct card type, which obviously has priority over edge-of-the-card iconic conventions. But still, I see your point. Cards where Reflex is only one of multiple types probably should have a Reflex icon on the edge.

Also, on that score, shouldn't Charismatic Aura effectively be a reflex as well at it's "Cancel a grapple" text?

Not every card that cancels something is or should be a Reflex.

:hosk: :ani: :chi: :for: :nec: :AUS: :cap6: Sabbat. Animals, Wraiths and Zombies Molloy recruits or employs get an additional life.
Last edit: 10 May 2013 23:33 by Molloy.

More
11 May 2013 15:53 #48380 by jamesatzephyr

on topic:

Reflex is a different card type than Combat. I don't think SCS can use a Reflex.

Oh, that's right. I just blithely assumed that since it's a combat card, and the reflex level uses an inferior discipline, and can be played in combat, then...

But no.

[LSJ 20060317]

> Can a Shadow Court Satyr with an Abombwe combat
> card (such as Invoking the Beast) put on him use the
> Reflex effect of the card?
Shadow Court Satyr can only use the combat-card effect.

More
11 May 2013 16:03 #48381 by jamesatzephyr

Strictly speaking, that would change the effect of the card.

Reflex cards can only cancel cards that are played against you/on you. For example, two vampires (A and B) in combat. A plays Devil Channel: Hands: "[abo] Frenzy. Play before range is determined. For the remainder of the combat, this vampire's hand damage is aggravated." B cannot use a Reflex card to cancel that play, since it wasn't played on him. [LSJ 20051113]

There is in theory nothing stopping a Grapple card from being self-empowering only. (Thematically, it might be quite hard.)

More
11 May 2013 16:12 #48383 by jamesatzephyr

And anyway, the damage from TV doesn't need to be aggravated to help burning the opposing minion.

It might. If a minion was immune to normal damage (say, Ex Nihilo), it would be important to know whether the damage was aggravated. (Most likely, this would lead to you not using the TV unnecessarily.)

Ditto if you were against a Samedi playing Regenerative Blood. (Let me know if that ever happens.)

More
11 May 2013 20:23 #48391 by Juggernaut1981
@James:
Where is the difference between the Fae Contortion ability and the Charismatic Aura ability? Other than maybe its scope on strikes but those will be 'aimed' at the minion playing the Charismatic Aura so the argument of 'empowering me means it shouldn't be a Reflex' has been neutralised by cardtexts.

Fae Contortion
Type: Action Modifier/Combat
Requires: Mytherceria/Obtenebration
[myt] [REFLEX] Cancel a grapple card played on this vampire as it is played (no cost is paid).

Charismatic Aura
Type: Combat
Requires: Auspex & Presence
[aus]
 Burn 1 blood to cancel the opposing minion's strike card or grapple card as it is played (no cost is paid). A vampire may play only one Charismatic Aura at inferior each round.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds