file Worst card?

16 Nov 2011 18:23 #14606 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Worst card?
All mentioned cards are extremely bad. Twisting the Knife was my first thought too, but Mummify is really ridiculous.

I nominate in addition:

Eyes of the Dead, Reaction, Necromancy,
Only usable when a reacting vampire you control attempts to block a vampire who is attempting to diablerize one of your vampires.
[nec] This reacting vampire gets +1 intercept.
[NEC] As above, but with +2 intercept.

Argh. Only usable vs. diablerie and then only vs. diablerie on vampires you control. And then only granting some intercept without some other effects. I bet this card never saw play, even not in draft tournaments.

Worst crypt card for me:

Patrizia Giovanni, Collector of Secrets
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Giovanni
Group: 2
Capacity: 5
Discipline: nec qui tha
Independent: Patrizia can employ a retainer from your ash heap as an action. The cost of that action is increased by 1 blood.

What a bad discipline spread. And just an okayish special. Looks cool but is crap. Although tha is always good :) .

Baron of Frankfurt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2011 19:06 #14614 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Worst card?

I think Tortured confession has to be among the worst cards.

It can be played by anyone torporing a vampire, a feat which isn't too difficult to do, and you obtain, for yourself only, knowledge of their entire hand. It's kinda crappy, but it isn't horrible by any means.

Esteem
Type: Action Modifier
Only usable at the end of a successful (D) action directed at the Methuselah with the edge.
You gain the edge.

Again, crappy but not horrible. There are lots of non-bleeding (D) tricks that you can Esteem, and then o something after.

Eyes of the Dead

Now this card is really awful. ;)

But NOTHING compares to...!

Becoming of Ennoia
Event
Gehenna. Do not replace until your next discard phase.
Requires at least two other Gehenna cards controlled by other Methuselahs in play. During each Methuselah's untap phase, he or she chooses a ready vampire he or she controls. The chosen vampire takes 1 unpreventable damage. Earth Meld cards cost 2 additional blood.

A card which is, essentially, unplayable. Not just wallpaper, but UNPLAYABLE.

I've never asked but I believe that this was just an error on the part of LSJ and the playtesters that all missed "controlled by other Methuselahs" and didn't demand that it be removed.

Note that I playtested Gehenna and didn't catch it either, so I'm part of the problem. :(

In fact:

I now officially ask the VEKN to remove the obviously-mistaken phrase "controlled by other Methuselahs" from this card, so that it is at least PLAYABLE. Thank you. :)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
16 Nov 2011 19:24 #14622 by salem
Replied by salem on topic Re: Worst card?
When we play tested tortured confession, it also prevented the tortured vampire from going to torpor. Now THAT was a sucky card. I agree it still sucks though. Also agree about Becoming of Ennoia.

--
salem

More
16 Nov 2011 19:40 #14628 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Worst card?
I take back what I said about Becoming of Ennoia. Someone just pointed out to me that it was NOT the playtesters who didn't catch the bad wording on BoE, it was LSJ who must have changed it, since the last playtest round of materials has BoE's text as "Requires at least two other Gehenna cards in play."

Which is what it SHOULD say. ;)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
16 Nov 2011 19:44 #14631 by echiang
Replied by echiang on topic Re: Worst card?
Tortured Confessions isn't great, but it's hardly useless. Looking at another player's hand can be very valuable at times. If you don't have Auspex or Animalism (or don't want to use Prophecies of Gehenna), you're gonna have a hard time getting such valuable recon. When played at a key point, Tortured Confessions can tell you whether your prey has that Wake or Deflection that might prevent you from ousting him.

Mummify sucks now. But in the *old* days, you could combo it with the old Fame to repeatedly do 3 pool to your prey. It's not fantastic, but you could hypothetically combo it with Faithful Servant or Regeneration.

Esteem has some cornercase uses. It's a way to steal the Edge if you can't get any bleeds through (prey is playing with lots of bounce or reduction). If you're afraid of your prey, it's a way to get the Edge with an action that your prey can't block (directed at your predator or someone cross-table).

Eyes of the Dead is way too cornercase. People often point out how it is much worse than the Deadliest Sin. Though I suppose you could combine Eyes of the Dead with Deadliest Sin for +4 intercept against diablerie attempts! Maybe you'll need it after you play Mummify? :)

Patrizia is not great but is far from the most horrible vampire. There has been speculation that maybe she was supposed to be a 4-cap. Her discipline spread isn't great, but it's actually gotten better with time due to Anarch cards like CrimethInc.

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
16 Nov 2011 20:13 #14637 by Amenophobis
Replied by Amenophobis on topic Re: Worst card?

All mentioned cards are extremely bad. Twisting the Knife was my first thought too, but Mummify is really ridiculous.

I nominate in addition:

Eyes of the Dead, Reaction, Necromancy,
Only usable when a reacting vampire you control attempts to block a vampire who is attempting to diablerize one of your vampires.
[nec] This reacting vampire gets +1 intercept.
[NEC] As above, but with +2 intercept.

Argh. Only usable vs. diablerie and then only vs. diablerie on vampires you control. And then only granting some intercept without some other effects. I bet this card never saw play, even not in draft tournaments.

Worst crypt card for me:

Patrizia Giovanni, Collector of Secrets
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Giovanni
Group: 2
Capacity: 5
Discipline: nec qui tha
Independent: Patrizia can employ a retainer from your ash heap as an action. The cost of that action is increased by 1 blood.

What a bad discipline spread. And just an okayish special. Looks cool but is crap. Although tha is always good :) .

Patrizia is a misprint. She was tested as a :cap4:.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinM

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds