question-circle What should be done with Reversal of Fortune?

12 Apr 2012 19:43 #27772 by bakija

Both victories for Reversal of Fortunes came in tournaments held in Paris(22 and 24 player sizes). This suggests to me it is a local phenomenon. That doesn't mean it can be annoying to deal with such a situation for the locals, but it probably doesn't warrant banning at this time.

I don't think the deck is a local phenomenon. People have been monkeying with that deck since the day the game was invented.

I think it has a significant bar which discourages it from being played at tournaments a lot, however--as noted, if it works, it prevents at least 2 people from ever playing the game (in a literal sense). As such, it is a really seriously douchey deck, and folks tend not to play it much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2012 20:39 #27773 by Jeff Kuta

I don't think the deck is a local phenomenon. People have been monkeying with that deck since the day the game was invented.

I think it has a significant bar which discourages it from being played at tournaments a lot, however--as noted, if it works, it prevents at least 2 people from ever playing the game (in a literal sense). As such, it is a really seriously douchey deck, and folks tend not to play it much.

Perhaps I should have said, "This suggests to me that {success with the deck} is a local phenomenon."

I do agree that peer pressure likely suppresses most decks which intentionally create non-interactive situations.

Paradoxically, peer pressure against certain archetypes makes it harder for problematic cards to be banned. Those decks don't see as much play at the tournament level, so action against them relies more heavily on philosophical argument rather than empirical evidence.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
19 Apr 2012 19:27 - 19 Apr 2012 19:28 #28195 by bakija

Perhaps I should have said, "This suggests to me that {success with the deck} is a local phenomenon."

Ah, yes. That is certainly a possibility.

I think to make this particular deck work, you need to:

A) Be really clever in design and play.

and

B ) [Dear Board Controllers. Please please please make the auto smiley function go away. Not being able to make a B followed by a ) without it automatically turning into a asinine smiley face with sunglasses on it makes me want to shoot someone in the face.] Really, really not give a crap if everyone else at the table totally hates your guts for wasting their time for two hours.

If you got A and B going for you, you can make a good go of the Madness Network/Reversal of Fortune deck. I don't know that there are a lot of folks who can pull this off, however.

Paradoxically, peer pressure against certain archetypes makes it harder for problematic cards to be banned. Those decks don't see as much play at the tournament level, so action against them relies more heavily on philosophical argument rather than empirical evidence.

Oh, absolutely. Like, there are a lot of decks that are super douchey, but most of them tend to just oust folks quickly, and getting ousted quickly is *vastly* less irritating than being in a game for 2 hours and not ever getting to take an action 'cause of Reversal of Fortune. Una Freak Show is similar, but at least other folks get to interact some.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2012 19:28 by bakija.

More
19 Apr 2012 19:39 - 19 Apr 2012 19:39 #28196 by Damnans

B ) [Dear Board Controllers. Please please please make the auto smiley function go away. Not being able to make a B followed by a ) without it automatically turning into a asinine smiley face with sunglasses on it makes me want to shoot someone in the face.] Really, really not give a crap if everyone else at the table totally hates your guts for wasting their time for two hours.

The "B)" issue has been fixed by changing the characters you have to type to display that icon to "B - )" (without spaces) instead.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
Last edit: 19 Apr 2012 19:39 by Damnans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Dorrinal, Lemminkäinen

More
19 Apr 2012 21:14 #28198 by bakija

The "B)" issue has been fixed by changing the characters you have to type to display that icon to "B - )" (without spaces) instead.

A) Whoah. Thanks! I didn't think that was something that could be fixed. I was just ranting aimlessly. That's awesome!

B) I just wanted to write B). Hurrah!

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
20 Apr 2012 09:28 - 20 Apr 2012 09:29 #28216 by Joscha

A) Whoah. Thanks! I didn't think that was something that could be fixed. I was just ranting aimlessly. That's awesome!

B) I just wanted to write B). Hurrah!

Thanks!

B-)

Edit: Hey, that B- ) thingy works too, great.

Baron of Frankfurt
Last edit: 20 Apr 2012 09:29 by Joscha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds