file Limit master cards?

30 May 2012 21:48 - 30 May 2012 21:53 #31463 by Boris The Blade

So, for something not already said

Still trying to be ironic? :P

Rushing or banishing Nana or Anson should not be so difficult, is it ?

Banishment works great, especially if they abuse Villein. Rushing might not be so easy if they fight back. They are both highly vulnerable to ranged aggravated damage, though.

Stealing a parthenon or destroying it is not so difficult, is it ?

That is another minor problem with the game: the existing actions that target locations suck. Arson is fine as a disciplineless action (that is, to use as a last resort only), but where is the better stuff we should get with disciplines? Rampage? You get to replace it, great. Haunt? You can also use it to protect your own location that nobody will ever try to destroy (see point 1: actions that target locations suck). Dominate Kine is better (at least it is flexible), but not all decks can afford the 2 blood cost. If for example :pot: had a rush/burn location card, burning the Parthenon would be a much more viable option.

Also burning the Parthenon is like suddening a Villein: it only works in the short term, so you need the quick ousting power that goes with it if you want to benefit from it. Contesting or stealing it will hurt the MMPA deck much more.
Last edit: 30 May 2012 21:53 by Boris The Blade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2012 22:48 #31464 by Juggernaut1981
Rushing Nana/Cybele/Anson is basically rolling the dice on card draws. Combat is weighted against minion-removal (the different combat mechanics make it harder to torpor your opponent than it is for them to avoid your strike).

All of the main "+MPA" vampires have :PRE:. Majesty, Charismatic Aura, Staredown and Catatonic Fear all easily weigh in on the side of defence. And since there is basically one major counter to those cards Immortal Grapple (because basically NOBODY uses Thoughts Betrayed for a combat deck unless it's some elaborate trick) is countered by Charismatic Aura (which saves Anson). Even if they don't go down the abusive :PRE: road, Nana & Cybele have :ANI: and it has one of the most efficient short-chain combat modules Crows + Bats.

Killing these minions requires a lot more than just a passing "Oh hey, I put in Coma to catch some unlucky dude by surprise" or "Mostly I punch for 1 or 2... but there is a Burning Wrath or two in here...".

If we are going to punish the MMPA decks, lets do it by creating new Minions that can interfere with people's master card plays. I'm not saying every second vampire needs to be printed with Rewind Time grafted on... but we should start trying to be CREATIVE not PUNITIVE. Expand the options, rather than limit options.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
31 May 2012 05:02 #31472 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Limit master cards?

Are you saying that if nobody plays MMPA, you won't be able to get rid of a Sudden every turn?

See Chaitans excellent replies below, but I also want to add that you can´t cross table-Sudden things just to get rid of your Suddens. That´s like rushing cross-table to get rid of your rushes/combat cards.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
31 May 2012 05:06 #31473 by Ashur

If Ashur Tablets becomes too good in the metagame, there are natural ways that this is tempered though contesting of Nana, Cybele and Anson.

How do you mean? I should play Nana Cybele and Anson just to contest them? Too prevent MMPA-decks from being popular? I prefer not contesting vampires, especially if my bloat is going to be a mess because that my MMPA-vampire is contested :)

More
31 May 2012 05:34 #31475 by Ashur

So, for something not already said : if the problem is the mmpa, why not take care of the vampires who provide MMPA ?
Rushing or banishing Nana or Anson should not be so difficult, is it ?

Well, no. But you also want to win, and winning with rush/minion removal decks has proved much more difficult than most other ousting methods. You have to balance the table very delicately, not crippeling a player so that someone cross table gets the sweep.

AND most people seem to want to keep it that way (combat as a vehicle for oust, much like stealth, not the ousting method in itself. We have no Fame on steroids for !Bru or more Hell-for-leather-like effects.) This is why I think something else than just "play more rush" has to be done to counter MMPA/generic recursion (ie, banning, errata and/or hoser-cards).

Stealing a parthenon or destroying it is not so difficult, is it ? There are plenty of solutions, but the players have to be willing to try them.

Dominate Kine is extremelly underplayed, I agree. But cards like Rampage... not very flexible :)

More
31 May 2012 05:40 #31476 by Reyda
Replied by Reyda on topic Re: Limit master cards?

Rushing Nana/Cybele/Anson is basically rolling the dice on card draws. Combat is weighted against minion-removal (the different combat mechanics make it harder to torpor your opponent than it is for them to avoid your strike).

All of the main "+MPA" vampires have :PRE:. Majesty, Charismatic Aura, Staredown and Catatonic Fear all easily weigh in on the side of defence. And since there is basically one major counter to those cards Immortal Grapple (because basically NOBODY uses Thoughts Betrayed for a combat deck unless it's some elaborate trick) is countered by Charismatic Aura (which saves Anson). Even if they don't go down the abusive :PRE: road, Nana & Cybele have :ANI: and it has one of the most efficient short-chain combat modules Crows + Bats.

Ok, but nobody plays psyche anymore ? Isn't it time to try to play thoughts betrayed again, by the way, since it trumps those new strategies ??
To be honnest I saw people playing Charismatic aura over majesty, but it was 6 years ago ? Now they just stopped because the metagame has shifted towards Thaumaturgy or animalism fighters -so they can S:ce an escape all problems.

Actually there are plenty of cards to cancel a strike -including cards that look stupid at first glance, like Botched move (which gives tasty GW against those very annoying 20+ earthmeld deck) or prevent certain disciplines to be played...

Another good news is : Anson can run out of majesties. Especially if his master's hand is full of master cards :p Just play haven uncovered more often ?
If nobody changes the way he plays, then the problem will stay forever, as well as the complaints. :dry:

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds