file If the game would go into print, should there be changes to old cards?

01 Dec 2016 16:52 #79400 by elotar

V:TES was profitable for White Wolf. It wasn't profitable on the scale of, say, V:tM, Werewolf, or Mage, but it was profitable. The only reason why it was discontinued was because CCP wanted to get completely out of the pen and paper business, including the distribution and fulfillment storage and logistics involved.

Nobody ever drops profitable business. Usually it just means that there are hidden costs, that was finally calculated.

How it was for VtES we will never know, especially if nobody in the know will be sharing any factual information ;).

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2016 17:02 #79401 by elotar

However, with modern production options, such as print-on-demand, the burden on retailers to maintain high stock levels is much less of an issue. When the Design Team was working with OneBookShelf (DriveThruCards.com) on V:TES proposals, the model included "core" products for retailers (boxed sets of preconstructed starter decks), with add-ons and reprints available via print-on-demand.

Interesting idea about combination of core products and print-on-demand.
The only concern I have - I don't know any card game, which is distributed this way. Am I missing something?

More
01 Dec 2016 17:48 #79402 by BenPeal

So he should show you his company's financial figures purely for your personal edification?

Holy crap "financial figures"! Sales of discontinued game 10 years ago! What's a problem with you, guys?

At our warhammer forum our distributor regularly discusses present sales of different factions, products and his strategy, and, as I understand, it even helps him in business!

So if you'd like to continue this conversation, please send us your tax records from 10 years ago. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Vlad

More
01 Dec 2016 18:05 #79403 by BenPeal

V:TES was profitable for White Wolf. It wasn't profitable on the scale of, say, V:tM, Werewolf, or Mage, but it was profitable. The only reason why it was discontinued was because CCP wanted to get completely out of the pen and paper business, including the distribution and fulfillment storage and logistics involved.

Nobody ever drops profitable business. Usually it just means that there are hidden costs, that was finally calculated.

Try googling "selling a profitable business". There are many valid reasons why this would be done.

How it was for VtES we will never know, especially if nobody in the know will be sharing any factual information ;).

My information comes from face-to-face conversations with Steve Wieck (original co-founder of White Wolf), Chad Brown (international sales manager for White Wolf), and Oscar Garza (project manager for V:TES at White Wolf).

It also comes from working directly with Steve Wieck (now owner of OneBookShelf) on trying to get the rights to publish V:TES again. Why would he do that if it wouldn't be profitable for him?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Lech, self biased

More
01 Dec 2016 19:00 #79404 by BenPeal

However, with modern production options, such as print-on-demand, the burden on retailers to maintain high stock levels is much less of an issue. When the Design Team was working with OneBookShelf (DriveThruCards.com) on V:TES proposals, the model included "core" products for retailers (boxed sets of preconstructed starter decks), with add-ons and reprints available via print-on-demand.

Interesting idea about combination of core products and print-on-demand.
The only concern I have - I don't know any card game, which is distributed this way. Am I missing something?

It's a relatively new development in the industry, but the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is one example:

www.drivethrucards.com/browse/pub/5549/Paizo
The following user(s) said Thank You: elotar

More
02 Dec 2016 08:50 #79405 by elotar

So he should show you his company's financial figures purely for your personal edification?

Holy crap "financial figures"! Sales of discontinued game 10 years ago! What's a problem with you, guys?

At our warhammer forum our distributor regularly discusses present sales of different factions, products and his strategy, and, as I understand, it even helps him in business!

So if you'd like to continue this conversation, please send us your tax records from 10 years ago. ;)

I'm from Russia. I'm not paying any taxes. obviously :P

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds