exclamation-circle Champions of Cagn Unbound!

29 Oct 2013 21:39 #55904 by D-dennis

I build some sort of vote deck, with no Laibon in the crypt except Meno Ngari.
Meno comes out and calls KRC, playing Akunanse Kholo, and putting 3 pool damage on my predator. I continue to beat on my predator with votes.
Later, Meno calls the seat-switcher to switch places with my predator. Voila, sniped VP!

When and where can I order the Meno nGRRi t-shirts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, HG.fi, jozxyqk, Dorrinal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2013 22:18 #55908 by D-dennis

A seat switcher? Really?

Why not? Just because LSJ was of the opinion that it could not be properly implemented?

Also see this article for reasons.

I'm not much of a writer, but that's no article. It has no introduction, brings not much new and ends with an opinion instead of a conclusion.
In my opinion a possible bad seating does not validate the necessity of a seat switcher card (no matter how it is implemented) because:
- If you are in a seriously bad seating, count on your cross-table buddies to come to the rescue. That is exactly what cross-table buddies are for, to help you win the game while you let them believe that they are winning.
- A bad seating does not automatically mean a bad gaming experience. Example: weenie dem getting crushed by weenie ani prey. Jake Washington bleeds for 0, gets blocked, dodges in combat and survives. Contribution to getting VPs is nihil, but it is certainly an enjoyable and memorable gaming experience.
- The practical hassle of changing seats. Why don't we all bring our own table, just in case somebody plays a seat switcher, so that we can get through that quickly and get on with the game.

Apart from that: kudos for designing a set of this size. But for the sake of the cards: don't reinvent hot water again and don't feel hurt when you get negative feedback. Instead, use what you get back and make your cards better. And if you can't make them better, don't make them at all.
Some of my initial thoughts were
- another anarch convert? almost literally the same?
- 11-caps without +2 bleed? : that'd better be a good special, not just burn a blood to get ...
- making the font smaller does not reduce card text (we all already know this since I-don't-know-what-expansion)

To conclude: less is more

More
29 Oct 2013 22:22 #55910 by AaronC
Although I neither advocate nor denounce PCK's new set, I don't have a problem with the concept of revisiting seat switchers. I might like to see a mechanism by which the other player could reverse the situation, such as sacrificing a minion to the Orisha or something.

The card they've designed has some significant limitations. Will it constitute VP swiping? Sure, why else would you have a seat-switching mechanism? Well, except to escape a horrific predator...

(Do they have salmon in Africa? I'm not sure.)

Un-sanctioned fan sets are a great place to test such bold strokes. If nothing else it's fun to watch players' sanctimonious condescension. Keep it up, PCK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex O

More
29 Oct 2013 22:36 #55911 by D-dennis

...sanctimonious condescension...

Several years of experience on the internet and #vtes have learned me not to google what I don't understand :)
I mostly dislike seat switchers because of the practical aspect of actually moving seats. Of course you can solve that by virtually moving, but that gets confusing if more than one player do that trick. The best solution against a horrific predator is still your grand-predator. A once-per-game seat switcher solves that as much as Giant's blood solves blood gain.

More
29 Oct 2013 22:48 #55912 by jamesatzephyr

- making the font smaller does not reduce card text (we all already know this since I-don't-know-what-expansion)

To conclude: less is more

This is actually a potentially much more significant problem now. When people are printing cards with whatever printer they have available to them, crumbly faded inkets are not fun. (Yes, some people will be using the colour laser printer at work. No, this won't be everyone.) Teeny, tiny text that's printed on lousy paper with a mediocre printer can be very hard to read.
The following user(s) said Thank You: D-dennis

More
29 Oct 2013 22:58 #55913 by jozxyqk

I mostly dislike seat switchers because of the practical aspect of actually moving seats.

Once upon a time, a Mr. Matt Hirsch called a seat-switcher vote targeting me just so he could sit in the comfy chair near the air conditioner at Your Move Games. True story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Squidalot

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds