file Submission: Slave Convert

11 Jun 2016 20:20 #77172 by jamesatzephyr

Independent. Burn Stone Child during your discard phase to put this card on a Gargoyle, that Gargoyle gains +1 strength, becomes independent and loses the Slave trait if any. Draw a crypt card when Stone Child is burned. Flight.

On a purely practical point, it might be nice if the Stone Child went on/under the unshackled Gargoyle, to act as a physical reminder of it. In particular, a visual cue to remember the +1 strength is kinda handy - when Bobby the Gargoyle hunts and I attempt a block, it would be nice to remember that I'm about to be hit for 2, not 1, that sort of thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2016 12:05 #77176 by GreyB
Replied by GreyB on topic Submission: Slave Convert

Independent. Burn Stone Child during your discard phase to put this card on a Gargoyle, that Gargoyle gains +1 strength, becomes independent and loses the Slave trait if any. Draw a crypt card when Stone Child is burned. Flight.

On a purely practical point, it might be nice if the Stone Child went on/under the unshackled Gargoyle, to act as a physical reminder of it. In particular, a visual cue to remember the +1 strength is kinda handy - when Bobby the Gargoyle hunts and I attempt a block, it would be nice to remember that I'm about to be hit for 2, not 1, that sort of thing.

It reads: 'Burn Stone Child during your discard phase to put this card on a Gargoyle' ;)

:garg: :VIS: :POT: :FOR: :flight: -1 Strength

More
12 Jun 2016 19:52 #77188 by jamesatzephyr

It reads: 'Burn Stone Child during your discard phase to put this card on a Gargoyle' ;)

Apologies, my eyes totally glazed over that and just went from burn it to the benefits.

More
12 Jul 2016 16:14 - 15 Jul 2016 00:19 #77358 by Maddog
Replied by Maddog on topic Submission: Slave Convert
Here's somethibg I submitted a few months ago:
www.vekn.net/forum/expansion-sets-card-ideas/74924-gargoyle-revolt

I've edited original version, removed D burning card option and added untap option, giving a 2nd functional option so its not spam or dead weight if multiple copies in deck.

Gargoyle Revolt

Type: Master

Cost: 1 pool

Put this card in play. During the minion phase any ready slave Gargoyle may burn 1 blood to remove his or her slave status and become an Independent vampire. Or an independent Gargoyle may burn 1 blood to untap and attempt to block an action, burn this card after untapping.

World of Darkness reference: During the mid-15th-century occurred the uprising in which the bulk of the Gargoyle slaves of Clan Tremere liberated themselves from their masters, this was known as (drum roll please)....."the Gargoyle Revolt."

Art notes: Bird's eye view of 3 gargoyles flying upwards towards the sky with a chantry in the far background below.

How does this card address a compelling game need?
With the exception of (over powered imo) Tupdogs, Gargoyles slaves are underwhelming with the clunky slave mechanic that requires a completely different clan (trem/trem anti) to function like any other non-slave vampire. Group 5 & 6 that can not play "Virstania" are at a disadvantaged by not being able to play with her ( as she is a group 3), if they want to convert slaves gargoyles in indi's.

More interesting options would open up for the non-slave. There is too few non-Slave gargoyles crypts throughout the various groupings as it is, and It would be easier to create a card like this than to release a ton of indi non-slaves gargoyles through group 2-6, it would also save a lot of card space.

Good to hear all your ideas on removing slave status.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 00:19 by Maddog.

More
13 Jul 2016 12:30 #77366 by jamesatzephyr

I've edited original version, removed D burning card option and added untap option, giving a 2nd functional option so its not spam or dead weight if multiple copies in deck.

Gargoyle Revolt
Type: Unique Master
Cost: 1 pool
During the minion phase any ready slave Gargoyle may burn 1 blood to remove his or her slave status and become an Independent vampire. Or an independent Gargoyle may burn 1 blood to untap and attempt to block an action, burn this card after untapping.

Presumably, by the fact that it's unique, it goes in play? (It doesn't say so explicitly.)

However, the unique bit is the problem, for me, from the point of view of including it in a deck with a substantial number of slaves in order to emancipate them. If you have enough slave Gargoyles in the deck that playing some sort of tech of this type is worthwhile, you probably want to be able to play it quickly in the game. Even with two or three in the deck, you can - in a fair percentage of games - not pull this for quite a few turns, meaning that you could get quite stuck: can't rush, can't bleed, can't burn a location, can't diablerize etc.

Unique masters are, to my mind, best for things that can make things better for you without being utterly crucial - like, say, Ventrue HQ, Dreams of the Sphinx - or for cards that are key to a strategy but are best played later in the game, such as Week of Nightmares, so that you can bide your time over many turns waiting to draw them. If you're playing this to emancipate your slaves, you really need it early on in the game.

More
15 Jul 2016 00:25 - 15 Jul 2016 00:26 #77377 by Maddog
Replied by Maddog on topic Submission: Slave Convert
Cheers James,You have made some very valid points regarding the card being unique ( I forgot to edit/change so multiple copies could be used) and instructions to put in play.

Please find edited version above.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 00:26 by Maddog.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds