file Reprint some cards

08 Aug 2011 12:16 - 08 Aug 2011 12:17 #7602 by Pascal Bertrand

I think that villein should be reprinted and distributed enought to be accessible as blood doll, minion tap or vessel.

And who should reprint it?
Yes, it'd be easier if each card (Villein, but also Matthias, Eyes of Argus, Spiritual Intervention, Carlton, Sensory Deprivation, ...) got a reprint. We're currently lacking the entity that would do this.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2011 12:17 by Pascal Bertrand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2011 12:19 #7603 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Reprint some cards

So VTES is only play for rich people. You can not play it if you do not spend enought money into game.

You said that, I did not. I said that you need to spend some money in order to play the game, and some more money to play the game at a high level, and by spending little or no money and then complaining because you don't have the cards that you need, that is illogical.

I think that villein should be reprinted and distributed enough to be accessible as blood doll, minion tap or vessel.

Certainly, if you have the funds to put up to purchase the license from both CCP and WOTC, the entire community would be more than happy to have you be the man in charge. Until that happens, trade cards from your friends or buy $6 and $8 villein off eBay.

Villein went for $5-6 for a year after HTTB starters went out-of-print. When your friends realized that HTTB starters we no longer available, why didn't they obtain some Villein at that point, I wonder?

Again: tell your friends to spend some money to obtain the cards that they need. They are available and reasonably plentiful.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
08 Aug 2011 12:20 #7604 by fojtik
Replied by fojtik on topic Re: Reprint some cards
Lots of players in my group have no need to play in official tournament. They play this game only locally and for fun. They do not have villeins and they probably never pay 40$ for set of 5 villeins they need.
BTW so high cost of key cards reduce the chance of starting play this game by new players.

More
08 Aug 2011 12:24 #7605 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: Reprint some cards
If they aren't playing in tournaments, then you can always use proxies, like say use minion taps to proxy villein, I hear that some playgroups do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Goudie

More
08 Aug 2011 14:43 #7612 by prunesquallor
The only feasible way right now to "reprint" cards is to provide image downloads that people could print out, cut up, and put into card sleeves with a regular card as a backing.

It'd be perfectly feasible for VEKN to provide some such images. There'd be no copyright issues either if the image were just black text on white background and the only text were "This is not a real Villein card, but it can be used as if it were in any sanctioned VEKN event".

The best arguments against doing this from above are :
  • I paid money for my cards so you should have to also
  • We want to preserve the value of the old cards for a future publisher

For the first of those, if that is the attitude of the organized play organization, it doesn't bode well for the future of the game. VtES is in a good position to pick up players (who might be disillusioned with MtG money decks) due to cheaply available cards. Games like Netrunner, Star Wars, Star Trek etc are staying alive because their player orgs have the guts to put out downloadable card sets and keep the game alive. Meanwhile VEKN seems to be dominated by worries about being sued and people trying to protect the value of key cards.

On the second point above, unless you know of specific, serious negotiations under way (which I doubt), it's wishful thinking and pretty unrealistic that anything will happen anytime soon. Also, in the happy event that a new publisher did pick up the game, VEKN could always announce "hey, you know those proxies that we approved for competitive play? Since the cards are being reprinted for real, the proxies are no longer legal" and it's problem solved.

More
08 Aug 2011 15:09 #7615 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Reprint some cards

Meanwhile VEKN seems to be dominated by worries about being sued and people trying to protect the value of key cards.

Where have VEKN leadership claimed that they are worried about being sued, please?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds